Tesco In £150 Million Clubcard Relaunch
- 1 Million New Customers Expected to Sign Up in New Loyalty Drive
- TV ad introduces new Tesco Family
Tesco, Britain’s favourite supermarket, today announced the biggest change to its Clubcard loyalty scheme since it launched almost 15 years ago.
From Monday Tesco Clubcard holders will be able to double the value of their vouchers against a wide range of popular products in Tesco stores and online - and the £150 million investment is expected to attract at least 1 million more customers to Britain’s biggest and most rewarding loyalty scheme.
Until now customers could spend their Clubcard vouchers at face value across the store and on-line or increase the value by up to four times by trading them for a range of deals with Tesco Clubcard partners from restaurants and theme parks to Airmiles and driving lessons. But now for the first time they can also receive double the value in Tesco stores and on-line when they buy a wide range of products including clothing, baby goods, wine and Tesco mobile phone airtime.
The news comes as 15 million customers – and 1 in 2 UK households - receive their latest Clubcard statement. In May alone Tesco will give back £105 million to customers as a thank you for shopping with us.
With Clubcard customers able to double their money when buying a wide range of products in store and on-line, shopping at Tesco is now even better value. And with thousands of promotions and offers already available Clubcard customers will be able to snap up bargains at prices never seen before. For example a customer exchanging £5 of Clubcard vouchers for £10 of ‘double up’ reward tokens could use them to bag bargains including:
Product --- Promotion Price
2 packs of Pampers Premiums Active Fit Carry Pack --- 2 for £10 (various sizes)
2 bottles of Plan de Dieu Promenade des Papes CDR Villages --- 2 for £10 (French Red) (usually £9.99 each)
Women’s Jeans and T-shirt outfit --- £10 (Jeans usually £8 and T-Shirt £5)
The investment will save customers millions of pounds on their shopping bills and allow families watching their budgets to continue to treat themselves and their kids without worrying so much about the cost.
Clubcard ‘double-up’ will be launched with a new TV ad campaign fronted by TV actress Fay Ripley from the long running cult TV show ‘Cold Feet’ and the current BBC remake of 70’s sitcom ‘Reggie Perrin’ and Mark Addy from the hit British film comedy ‘The Full Monty’.
Fay and Mark will form the new Tesco family in a series of amusing ads in the first Tesco campaign to feature a family since ‘Dotty’ - the face of Tesco for almost a decade – retired.
When stores around the country close on Sunday afternoon thousands of staff will work through the night to prepare the store for launch including installing new Clubcard desks where customers can instantly exchange their vouchers for double the value in participating categories.
Announcing the new scheme Tesco’s Marketing and Commercial Director, Richard Brasher, said: "Tesco already has the most loyal customers of any supermarket and we’ve been saying thank you for their custom for many years by giving them back billions of pounds worth of vouchers to spend with Tesco or on treating themselves with one of our specially selected partners.
“Now with customers going to greater lengths to search out the best bargains it is even more important for Tesco to say thank you when they choose to shop with us. But from next week we want to say an even bigger thank you by allowing customers to double the value of the vouchers we send them, making shopping with Tesco even better value and even more rewarding.”
Notes for Editors:
1. Clubcard was launched on 13th February 1995.
2. Clubcard customers receive 1 point for every £1 they spend with Tesco (excluding products such as tobacco, lottery and infant formula). Vouchers are mailed to customers every 3 months along with other relevant coupons and special offers.
3. Tesco returns over £400 million to customers in the form of Clubcard vouchers every year. There are 9 million variations of the Clubcard statement to ensure that customers get extra rewards that are relevant to them. No three customers get the same statement.
4. Categories participating in ‘double up’ are:
Clothing - including, footwear, nightwear, underwear, accessories and jewellery (purchase in-store only)
Baby and toddler - includes nappies, wipes, clothing, nursery, feeding accessories, toys, food and baby toiletries. Excludes infant formulae milk (purchase either in-store or on Tesco direct).
Toys - includes all children’s toys, outdoor toys and children’s bikes. Excludes games consoles and software (purchase either in-store or on Tesco direct).
Cosmetics, skincare and fragrance - includes skincare, sun cream, bath care, make-up and fragrances. Excludes all other toiletries (purchase in-store only).
Tesco Mobile network top up - excludes any other network top-up (purchase in-store only)
Tesco instant travel and breakdown insurance (purchase in-store only).
And for a limited time*:
Wine and Champagne - includes wine, Champagne and fortified wine (purchase either in-store or on Wine by the case at www.tesco.com/wine).
Flowers, plants and gardening - includesfresh cut flowers, plants, gardening accessories, garden furniture and BBQ equipment (purchase where available either in-store or on Tesco direct).
* customers must have exchanged their voucher by 30th September 09, but have 3 months from issue to use them.
5. Double up vouchers must be spent in full in a single transaction in the chosen department. Vouchers cannot be exchanged in Tesco Express stores. Vouchers exchanged online will be sent by post within 5 working days.
6. The new TV advertising campaign launches on ITV1 during Coronation Street on Monday 11th May. The launch will also be supported with a widespread national press, magazine and on-line advertising campaign.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.