American Express Unveils Exclusive Benefits of Delta SkyMiles® Credit Cards and Launches Extensive Marketing Campaign
Invites Northwest Airlines Customers to Switch to the Official Card of the World’s Largest Airline
NEW YORK.- American Express today announced a number of new benefits available through its exclusive line of Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards, as well as the launch of a 360-degree marketing campaign to build awareness for the Cards in key Delta hubs that were formerly Northwest hubs within the U.S. including Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Memphis. Shortly after Delta’s merger with Northwest Airlines, the airline selected American Express as the official and exclusive provider of the co-branded credit card for the world’s largest airline with the world’s largest airline loyalty program, SkyMiles.
The marketing campaign reminds Northwest WorldPerks credit card holders that the WorldPerks and SkyMiles programs are merging and their miles are safe. However, they will soon have to apply for a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express to continue earning miles both from credit card purchases and from flying and enjoy the benefits of access to any seat at any time on Delta or Northwest-operated flights with no black out dates or restrictions. The new Card benefits are also designed to make the Card even more attractive to WorldPerks members.
“WorldPerks members and credit card holders are very valuable customers and we plan to treat them accordingly,” says David Rabkin, vice president, Delta Cobrands, American Express. “We’re offering them rich incentives, including no annual fee for the first year for the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card and up to 25,000 bonus miles. This offer alone gives them enough miles to redeem a domestic round-trip Award Travel ticket.”
The Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards allow Cardmembers to earn and redeem miles in more ways and places, including the ability to:
* Earn Double Miles on all Delta-and Northwest-operated flights: Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers and Delta Reserve Cardmembers, who currently enjoy Double Miles on virtually every dollar of spend with Delta, can also earn Double Miles on all purchases made with Delta’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Northwest. Cardmembers earn one mile for every eligible dollar of spending everywhere else.
* Redeem for any seat anytime on all Delta-and Northwest-operated flights: The popular Pay with Miles feature, which currently allows Gold, Platinum and Reserve Cardmembers to book Delta flights with no blackout dates or inventory restrictions on delta.com, will also be expanded to all Northwest-operated flights. Cardmembers can use miles like cash to pay for any seat, anytime, for travel to more destinations than ever before. The feature also allows Cardmembers to use miles to pay for all or part of their trip, with redemptions starting at 10,000 miles for $100 off the cost of a flight.
* Redeem for Award Tickets with no redemption fees: American Express is waiving fees associated with Award Ticket redemptions on all Delta-and Northwest-operated flights for its most premium Delta Cardmembers, Platinum and Reserve. Waived fees include Rapid Redemption fees, which are charged for award tickets booked within 20 days of departure and range from $75 to $150, as well as the $25 Partner Airline Handling Charge applied whenever at least one travel segment of an award ticket is booked on any partner airline (e.g. AirFrance, Alitalia).
Building Buzz with the “Switch to the Official Card of the World’s Largest Airline” Campaign
In addition to enhancing the Card benefits and offering valuable incentives, American Express is also launching a “Switch to the Official Card of the World’s Largest Airline” advertising campaign. The focus of the ads is to reinforce the fact that the Delta SkyMiles Card is the official, exclusive card of Delta’s SkyMiles program within the U.S. and that WorldPerks members who wish to continue to combine miles earned from flying with miles earned on co-branded card purchases will need to take action and switch to a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card.
“SkyMiles and WorldPerks members may now enjoy generous incentives through the Delta SkyMiles Card from American Express, the only Co-brand Credit Card for the world’s largest airline,” said Jeff Robertson, Delta’s vice president of Loyalty Programs. “To ensure our most valued customers reap the maximum benefits of the SkyMiles program, we encourage them to apply for the Delta SkyMiles Card from American Express, our official card.”
The national campaign will run through the end of 2009 and includes print, television, radio and online advertising. To build awareness, special emphasis will be placed on Delta hubs that were formerly Northwest hubs, such as Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Memphis.
Valued Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Benefits and Features
American Express offers several Delta Co-Branded Credit Cards, including the premium Gold and Platinum SkyMiles Cards, and Delta Reserve Credit Card. These Cards offer rich, added benefits including the ability to:
* Add miles from Credit Card purchases to SkyMiles mileage balances
* Redeem miles for any seat on any Delta-or Northwest-operated flight at any time
* Redeem SkyMiles with the Pay with Miles feature, starting at only 10,000 miles
* Earn double miles on all Delta-or Northwest-operated flight purchases
* Receive a complimentary companion certificate every year upon Card renewal
* Earn Elite Qualification Miles and access to Delta’s global network of airport lounges with the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card and the Delta Reserve Credit Card
* Enjoy award-winning customer service and valuable retail and travel insurances
For additional details on the offer and Card benefits visit 1800skymiles.com.
American Express and Delta Strengthen a Growing Relationship
American Express and Delta Air Lines enjoy a long-term relationship. In 1991, Delta became one of the first participants in the Membership Miles® Program from American Express, since renamed the Membership Rewards® Program. In 1996, Delta and American Express joined forces to launch the co-branded Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card, providing consumers with a quick route to Delta travel rewards thanks to its generous rewards structure. Now, a full line of valuable Card products is available for consumers and small businesses. In 2008, Delta and American Express renewed their multiyear agreement to offer the exclusive Co-brand Credit Card in the U.S.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.