’AOL Film Downloads’ Service Launches for UK Internet Users
London, 09 February 2006: AOL has launched an online film rental service for Internet users in the UK, with a range of films including leading Warner Bros. Pictures movies available to download.
’AOL Film Downloads’ is provided by LOVEFiLM and launches with a varied catalogue of full-length feature films and short films to choose from, including well known popular titles from Warner Bros. Pictures such as ’Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’, ’Alexander’, ’Batman’ and ’Poltergeist’, through to more specialist and niche titles. New titles will continue to be added to the service regularly.
’AOL Film Downloads’ is available to both AOL members and general Internet users. Members can access the library of films via the dedicated film channel on the AOL service itself, while non-members can find ’AOL Film Downloads’ at www.aol.lovefilm.com. Once registered, consumers can start to download films to their PC, with prices starting at £2.99 for a full-length feature film.
Karen Thomson, Chief Executive and Chairman of AOL UK, said: “AOL Film Downloads gives broadband users an on-demand option for their home entertainment, delivering the latest films directly into their home for a reasonable price.”
Thomson added: “AOL Film Downloads is an integral part of the recently launched Play Legal campaign, which aims to inform UK consumers about online music, game and film downloading and encourage everyone to do it legally.”
Josh Berger, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Warner Bros. Entertainment UK. Limited, said: “Warner Bros is happy to be in business with our sister company AOL for this new service with LOVEFiLM. The service will allow us to meet the on demand needs of our consumers and enable us to deliver downloadable movies in a convenient way to view when and how they want at a competitive price.”
Mark Livingstone, CEO LOVEFiLM added, ’LOVEFiLM continues it’s objectives of offering the very best in filmed entertainment in a format that our customers want. This strategic alliance with AOL allows us to deliver more movies to more customers in a safe and secure manner, ensuring an enjoyable customer experience.
’AOL Film Downloads’ is easy to use, with the ability to search the library for films in various categories such as ’New Arrivals’, ’World Cinema’, ’Editor’s Choice’, ’Highest Rated’, ’Short Films’, and ’Warner Bros.’. Once downloaded, the viewer can watch the film straight away or save it to view at a later date, usually for period of up to seven days. Once the person starts viewing the film they can watch it as many times as they wish during a 24 hour period, giving consumers the option to start/stop viewing and to return to a film at their leisure within the permitted viewing window. A number of quality short films are available for free so that users can sample the service before they decide to rent films.
Notes to editors:
- AOL and Warner Bros. Entertainment UK recently reached an agreement in the UK to help reduce the impact of unlawful distribution of Warner Bros Pictures films online. As part of the agreement, infringement of Warner’s intellectual property rights may result in further action being taken by AOL.
- AOL Film Downloads is provided by LOVEFiLM
- Windows Media Player 10 or Windows XP Service Pack 2 are required to use AOL Film Downloads
- Prices start at £2.99 per film download. Downloads will be billed to the registered user’s credit card
- Films can be kept for up to seven days after download and once started, can be watched as many times as the user wishes during a 24 hour period
- The seven day rental window starts from the minute the film download is complete
- Download times vary depending on computer connection speed but as an example, using a 1Mbps Internet connection would take approximately two - four hours to download a typical feature film. Estimated download time will be displayed before confirmation of purchase
- All films have UK ratings where applicable
AOL is the leading online interactive services provider to the UK, with more than 2.3 million members, including more than one million on AOL Broadband. AOL offers a range of services in the UK, including dial-up, broadband and voice, as well as unrivalled content and community for all the family.
Members spend more than one hour a day online on average, enjoying access to more than 20 channels of online content, from Entertainment and News to Parenting, Shopping and Money, as well as email and the Internet.
The AOL branded online interactive services and AOL Talk are supplied to UK subscribers by AOL Europe Services SARL, a company in the AOL group based in Luxembourg. AOL (UK) Limited provides marketing and other support services to AOL Europe Services SARL. Both companies are part of AOL Europe, a business unit of America Online Inc., which is the world’s leading interactive services company with more than 26 million members worldwide.
America Online Inc. is a division of Time Warner Inc., a leading media and entertainment company, whose businesses include interactive services, cable systems, filmed entertainment, television networks and publishing.
- LOVEFiLM was awarded the prestigious British Video Association’s 2005 award for the UK’s Best Rental Service
- WebUser independently awarded LOVEFiLM Best Service in the UK, March 2005
- Contact Information
- Jonathan Lambeth
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.