Altitude Sports & Entertainment Converts Regional Sports Network Program Distribution Platform to Cisco High- Definition Video System
Cisco MPEG-4 HD Encoding/Transcoding Platform Follows Successful 2004 Network Launch over Cisco Standard- Definition Platform
SAN JOSE, Calif - Altitude Sports & Entertainment, the Denver based regional sports network, has selected the Cisco® MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) and transcoding high-definition (HD) platform to enhance its regional sports programming delivery capability. Altitude Sports & Entertainment, the official television network of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth and Colorado Rapids sports teams, will also use the Cisco solution to broadcast entertainment and community programming from music to theatrical performances, as well as boxing, rodeo, auto racing, golf, skiing and extreme sports, and a series of outdoor and lifestyle shows. Altitude is among a growing number of forward-looking content providers that are evolving their network into a medianet, a network optimized for video and rich media that is scalable nationwide, while it streamlines operations and accelerates service velocity.
* Altitude will use the Cisco solution to distribute a single MPEG-4 AVC HD video stream for reception by Cisco Advanced Receiver Transcoders, which convert the incoming video to MPEG-2 HD, MPEG-2 standard definition, or analog to protect affiliates’ investments in the large installed base of MPEG-2 set-tops.
* A Cisco MPEG-4 AVC encoder will create a single MPEG-4 AVC HD video stream that requires up to 50 percent less bandwidth than a comparable MPEG-2 video stream, plus deliver DVB-S2 forward error correction and modulation for higher throughputs, improved satellite bandwidth use and more efficient content delivery.
* The Altitude television network originally launched in September 2004 using a Cisco PowerVu® standard-definition distribution system.
* “When you make a transition to advanced technology, you don’t want to team with a newcomer,” said Matthew Hutchings, chief operating officer for Altitude Sports & Entertainment television network. “Our past experience with Cisco plus its leadership in the MPEG-4 AVC encoding and transcoding marketplace helped us take an aggressive time-to-market approach and take advantage of the savings in capital and operating expenses with this new platform.”
* “Video is driving a market transition for content providers and their affiliates,” said Brian Morris, vice president, global business development, Digital Media Networks business unit for Cisco. “Cisco has industry-leading end-to-end video and networking solutions and is uniquely placed to help answer the challenges our customers face in this highly competitive and changing environment.”
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
About Altitude Sports & Entertainment
Seen in more than 3 million homes in a 10 state territory, Altitude is the television home of the Colorado Mammoth, Colorado Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Rapids, Colorado Eagles, the Big Sky Conference, the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, ESPN Syndication (including Big 12 Conference and Western Athletic Conference events), as well as other local and regional sports, entertainment and public service programming. A full list of Altitude programming and other information can be found at www.altitude.tv.
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and PowerVu are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.