Delta Stocks ’Most Original Wine List’ in Cellar in the Sky Awards 2005
Airline serves up 10th anniversary of award-winning wine program as part of international expansion.
ATLANTA, Feb. 1, 2006 – For the second year running, a panel of wine experts has voted Delta Air Lines’ international wine program the ‘Most Original Wine List’ in the ‘Cellar in the Sky 2005’ wine awards. As Delta launches the largest international expansion in its history, it is uncorking and serving its BusinessElite® customers the 10th edition of a unique selection of wines offering a distinctly global bouquet from its sky-high wine cellar.
The “Cellar in the Sky Awards,” sponsored by Business Traveller and Wine International magazines in London, are the result of two days’ tasting by a team of experts from Wine International. Airlines enter the awards with selections of red, white, sparkling, sweet and fortified wines from their first and business class services. ‘Wild card’ entries are designed to show the full range of an airline’s wine list. Some of the wine featured on Delta’s winning list for 2005 included:
* MandraRossa Cabernet/Shiraz (Italian red)
* Rodney Strong Sauvignon Blanc (USA white)
* Heidsieck/Monopole “Blue Top” Brut (French sparkling)
* Quinta do Noval Late Bottled Vintage Port (Portuguese dessert wine)
“We want to give our customers every reason to choose Delta,” said Ken Chase, Delta’s Wine Consultant. “That is why over the last decade we have worked hard to ensure that Delta’s BusinessElite passengers are served unique wines from around the world, all ideally suited to being consumed at 30,000 feet and which can be paired perfectly with their BusinessElite meal.” Chase, who selects the wines on behalf of Delta, is a classically trained wine maker and wine consultant with an international reputation for the creativity and quality of his wine selections.
Delta’s international wine selection, which changes annually, compliments the airline’s award-winning global cuisine program, offered as part of Delta’s BusinessElite service on international flights. Additionally, Delta’s BusinessElite customers can choose the airline’s personalized dining experience, which allows them to take their meals at anytime during the flight when it’s most convenient for them. Beginning later this year, Delta will provide its customers with a more comfortable and entertaining international BusinessElite experience offering all-leather seats and state-of-the-art digital technology.
Delta’s 10th anniversary wine program includes a comprehensive list of distinct wine types from vineyards around the world from the United States to Australasia, Europe to South America. The following wines are all carefully selected for enjoyable consumption at high altitudes and can be found on Delta’s international flights including upcoming new services to Budapest, Copenhagen, Düsseldorf, Edinburgh, and Tel Aviv:
* Fabre Montmayou – Torrontes Mendoza (Argentina): Indigenous to Argentina and a first for Delta, this wine has a spectacular floral nose, resembling a cross between Viognier, Pinot Grigio and Gewürztraminer.
* Icardi – Barbera d’Asti Piedmont (Italy): A relatively unknown variety, taken to new levels by this producer, its cherry-wood hue is enough to tempt the thirst alone. Full on the palate with intriguing tones of cherry and blackberry and a slight hint of black pepper.
* Champagne Georges Gardet – NV.Brut ‘Cuvee Saint-Flavy’ Chigny Les Roses (France): A blend of 30 crus from the appellations of the Champagne region produces this special champagne. A blend of 45 percent Pinot Noir, 45 percent Pinot Meurrier and 10% Chardonnay, each January wines of the recent harvest are blended with 20 percent of wines taken from Gardet’s special stocks.
* Piedemonte – Moscatel Navarra (Spain): The perfect way to end a meal and unwind, this dessert wine is 100% Muscat, made from a combination of ripe and late harvests, with terrific honeysuckle and peach flavors.
Delta Air Lines (Other OTC: DALRQ) is the world’s second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried, offering daily flights to 503 destinations in 94 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. In summer 2006, Delta will be the world’s leading carrier across the Atlantic as it launches flights to 11 new European destinations from its Atlanta and New York-JFK hubs. Delta also is a major carrier to Mexico, South and Central America and the Caribbean, with more than 35 routes announced, added or applied to serve since Jan. 1, 2005. Delta’s marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.
- Contact Information
- Anthony Black
- Senior Manager - Media Relations
- Delta Air Lines
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.