Scholarships Available to Students and Faculty at Fourth Annual Avnet Tech Games
Competition Prepares Students for Real-World Experiences, Provides Potential Internships and Job Opportunities
PHOENIX -- Students from Arizona’s colleges and universities will compete in Avnet, Inc.’s (NYSE:AVT) fourth annual Avnet Tech Games on Saturday, April 4, 2009, to apply what they are learning in school to real-work scenarios and for a chance to win $1,000 scholarships. With a total of $50,000 in prizes from sponsors available to event participants, faculty members will also receive $200 for leading participating teams and $300 for winning teams. Student and team registration is now open until Friday, February 27, 2009.
This year’s Avnet Tech Games features two competitions that challenge students to develop innovative solutions to address global concerns: building a green energy lamp and using technology to address humanitarian needs such as world hunger, homelessness and global education. Other competitions require students to create technology solutions that solve some of today’s most common business challenges such as network virtualization.
“Technology truly matters to the world, and the Avnet Tech Games provide the opportunity for Arizona’s brightest students to showcase how they can make a difference in advancing business and improving the quality of our lives. During the competition, students gain hands-on experience, and they test skills that are essential to success in any business: teamwork, strategy and innovation,” said Roy Vallee, chairman and CEO, Avnet, Inc. “Avnet Tech Games participating partners also win by getting involved in an activity that helps further build the talent pool here in Arizona.”
“With thousands of students applying for the same jobs, getting the chance to test and demonstrate what you’ve learned in a team environment is a resume builder,” said Ken Jackson, instructor, computer support specialist program at Maricopa Skills Center. “Plus the Avnet Tech Games is a terrific way for students to meet representatives from top technology companies.”
The annual multidisciplinary technology competition is composed of nine separate competitive events and requires students to work in teams to test their knowledge, creativity, decision-making, problem-solving and technical skills.
The Avnet Tech Games events include:
* Accenture Tech Challenge -- develop a proposal that solves an immediate humanitarian need by combining current and emerging technologies.
* AMD Build and Tune the Fastest Computer -- build and assemble the fastest PC from parts that the team has pre-selected.
* Digital Design Challenge -- design and build a digital electronic device to perform specific criteria.
* Multimedia Fast Break -- create a 30-second Phoenix Suns promotional video using team’s choice of technology to address an advertising scenario.
* Networking Within the Enterprise -- connect, configure and secure a network to support real business demands such as surveillance, paging, email and IP phones.
* Patch Panel Madness -- build a working data network using provided network diagram, cabling, patch panels, switches and racks.
* Project Greenlight LED Challenge -- design, build and test a solar-powered “green energy” solid-state lamp by retrofitting a camping lantern with Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs), a rechargeable battery, a charging/power circuit, solar cells and other components.
* Robot Race Obstacle Course -- use a Standard LEGO Mindstorm® NXT Robot kit to build and program a robot to maneuver around an obstacle course and perform a set of predefined tasks.
* VMware Virtualization Challenge -- create a virtual server environment within a specified time to address a current consolidation scenario.
The event also incorporates a trade show and networking event to help students connect with prospective employers. Sponsors for the Avnet Tech Games include Accenture, AMD, Avnet, Inc., MAXON, New Angle Media, the Phoenix Suns, Spark Design, University of Advancing Technology and VMware, Inc.
Open to the public, the Avnet Tech Games will run from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 4, 2009, at the University of Advancing Technology, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe, Ariz. More information is available at www.AvnetTechGames.com
Avnet, Inc. (NYSE:AVT), a Fortune 500 company, is one of the largest distributors of electronic components, computer products and embedded technology serving customers in more than 70 countries worldwide. Avnet accelerates its partners’ success by connecting the world’s leading technology suppliers with a broad base of more than 100,000 customers and by providing cost-effective, value-added services and solutions. For the fiscal year ended June 28, 2008, Avnet generated revenue of $17.95 billion. For more information, visit www.avnet.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.