AT&T U-verse TV Tops 100,000 Subscribers in Houston
Popularity of TV Service Reflects Consumer Desire for an Alternative to Cable
Houston, Texas.-Thousands of Houston-area residents have cut their ties with cable and extended a warm welcome to the newest video choice in town. AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced that AT&T U-verseSM TV has reached a milestone of more than 100,000 customers in the Greater Houston area.
AT&T U-verse services were first introduced in the Houston area nearly two years ago in November 2006. AT&T is continually expanding availability to more Houston-area residents, and U-verse TV is offered today throughout the Houston region, including parts of Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris and Montgomery counties.
“This is an amazing accomplishment for AT&T U-verse in such a short period of time, and it confirms what we’ve been saying all along,” said Mikal Harn, AT&T Southwest vice president and general manager. “Houston consumers are eager for a new video choice that offers a huge HD lineup, an unmatched DVR, popular programming, integrated features and superior customer service — and U-verse TV delivers that.”
The rapid expansion of AT&T U-verse in the Houston area mirrors the growth and popularity of U-verse services nationwide. AT&T U-verse TV ranked “Highest in Residential Television Service Satisfaction in the South Region,” according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Residential Television Service Provider Satisfaction StudySM. AT&T is on track to reach one million customers by the end of 2008.
AT&T is the only national provider to offer a 100 percent Internet Protocol-based television (IPTV) service, making AT&T U-verse TV one of the most advanced television offerings available anywhere. U-verse TV offers capabilities that customers don’t get from other local providers, such as the ability to watch recordings from a single DVR on any connected TV in the house, Web and Mobile Remote Access to the DVR and access to more than 45 High Definition (HD) channels.
The interactive features — available to customers at no extra charge — that were added since the launch in Houston and further differentiate U-verse TV from cable include:
* AT&T U-verse Total Home DVR, which gives you the freedom to watch Standard Definition (SD) and HD programs from a single DVR on any connected TV in the home.
* AT&T Online Photos from Flickr, which lets you simply and conveniently browse the photos you’ve uploaded to flickr.com and watch slide shows on your U-verse TV screen from the comfort of your couch.
* AT&T U-bar, which brings customizable weather, stock, sports and traffic information to the U-verse TV screen, without interrupting the current program. AT&T High Speed Internet subscribers can personalize the U-bar from the AT&T portal to display weather at specific locations, your personal stock portfolio and scores for your favorite sports teams.
* Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football, which allows you to track the progress of your fantasy team — including current team matchups and league standings — directly from your TV screen through the AT&T U-bar.
* YELLOWPAGES.COM TV, for fast and easy searches to find local businesses and other information via your TV screen.
* AT&T Yahoo! Games, so you can now play your favorite online games — including Sudoku, Solitaire, JT’s Blocks, Mah-jongg Tiles and Chess — on the TV screen.
Texas was the first state where AT&T U-verse services were deployed, as a result of legislation passed in September 2005 by the Texas Legislature and signed by Gov. Rick Perry.
AT&T’s U-verse deployment is rapidly introducing competitive choice and next-generation services to more consumers. AT&T U-verse customers enjoy quadruple-play integration, enhanced features and greater value, all made possible by IP technology.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.