CA’s Support for IBM’s z/OS® V1.10 Empowers Customers to Exploit New Platform Capabilities
Includes More Than 180 Mainframe Management Solutions in 18 Functional Categories
* CA (NYSE: CA) today announced “Day One” support for z/OS V1.10 across its extensive line of mainframe software solutions, continuing its long history of timely coordination with new releases of IBM System z operating systems.
* CA’s management solutions for z/OS V1.10 empower customers to take advantage of new z/OS functionality including its specialty processors, HiperDispatch, Extended Address Volumes (EAVs), hardware-assisted encryption and support for the latest security standards.
* CA is supporting IBM z/OS V1.10 across more than 180 solutions in 18 functional categories. CA worked closely with IBM to ensure tight integration of its management solutions portfolio with z/OS V1.10. CA actively participated in IBM’s Early Support Program for z/OS V1.10 by supporting select mutual customers through the installation of this new version of the operating system on CA’s z10 in its data center.
Support for Specialty Processors
* z/OS V1.10 extracts significant additional value from installed specialty processors by expanding the scope of zIIP-eligible functions to include large message transport across HiperSocket connections, global data mirroring (XRC), and XML parsing services. Similarly, CA continues to expand its portfolio of zIIP-eligible features with the delivery of the latest CA Vtape Virtual Tape System and CA Tape Encryption products.
* CA plans further exploitation of the specialty engines in order to deliver innovative products that realize the business value they represent.
Support for EAV-Capable Storage Subsystems
* z/OS V1.10 supports the newest EAV-capable storage subsystems such as the IBM® DS8000. These subsystems enable storage administrators to define volumes as large as 223 GB, relieving current constraints and simplifying storage management by reducing the total number of managed volumes. CA solutions help customers take advantage of this capability by making it easier to manage, monitor, and automate use of these large DASD volumes.
Enhancements in virtualization, encryption, security, and reliability
* CA also eases exploitation of the many other functions included in z/OS V1.10, including the most recent enhancements to its virtualization, encryption, security, and reliability features—such as the built-in Health Checker for z/OS function. CA workload automation solutions capitalize on this capability by delivering solution-specific Health Check functions that plug into the IBM-supplied “Health Checker” framework. CA SYSVIEW® Performance Management enables customers to view and configure both IBM and non-IBM supplied Health Check plug-ins from a single management facility. Solutions such as OPS/MVS® Event Management and Notification further complement the Health Checker facility by enabling exception conditions surfaced by one or more Check functions to be resolved without human intervention.
Digital Certificates, IPV6 Addresses
* In support of z/OS V1.10, CA ACF2™ and CA Top Secret® now fully support 9-100 character password phrases, and automatically re-encrypt users’ Kerberos keys when either passwords or password phrases are changed. The generation of digital certificates by these CA solutions has been enhanced to support all new Distinguished Name attribute types and IPv6 addressing.
* In addition, CA Auditor for z/OS now detects new operating system functionality including new SAF resource classes, new/changed PPT and Parmlib members, new standard and dynamic exit points, and new FMIDs (SMP/E Function Modification IDs).
Advanced Development and QA Methodologies
* A significant factor in CA’s ability to consistently provide Day One support for new operating system releases such as z/OS V1.10 is its employment of advanced development and QA methodologies. These methodologies facilitate central management of integration across product lines and global operations, enabling rapid delivery of high quality management solutions designed to interoperate seamlessly with IBM’s flagship mainframe operating system.
Decades of Support for IBM Mainframes
* Customers have been relying on CA management solutions for IBM mainframes to optimize value and help reduce cost of ownership for more than three decades. The benefits of these management solutions have become even more important to IT organizations as mainframe workloads have skyrocketed in recent years—while experienced mainframe administrators are retiring and budget pressures continue to limit IT headcount.
* “CA remains the leading independent provider of management solutions for the IBM mainframe platform,” said Chris O’Malley, executive vice president and general manager of CA’s Mainframe Business Unit. “We are committed to helping IT organizations worldwide get maximum business value from their extensive investments in z/OS.”
* “CA’s solutions significantly simplify and streamline the diverse management tasks required to keep our IBM z/OS environment operating at peak efficiency,” said Michael Dixon, vice president of the CA Event Management and Automation Global User Community. “By providing such timely support for z/OS V1.10 and helping us exploit its new capabilities, CA is enabling us to reap the benefits of the operating system upgrade sooner and with greater confidence.”
* “CA’s solutions will help us get optimum value from our IBM z/OS environment, reduce the environmental impact of IT, and drive down fixed costs,” said Ingrid Lohneiss, president of the CA Identity & Access Management for Mainframe Global User Community. “Their timely support for z/OS V1.10 is just one more reason that we have such great confidence in CA as our strategic partner for mainframe security management.”
CA World 2008 Sessions
* CA World 2008, Nov. 16-20 in Las Vegas, will feature a number of sessions and demonstrations of CA’s support and exploitation of z/OS V1.10 features, including zIIP and EAV technologies, across multiple product areas. For more information, please visit http://ca.com/mainframe/caworld.
CA (NASDAQ: CA) is the world’s leading independent IT management software company. With CA’s Enterprise IT Management (EITM) vision and expertise, organizations can more effectively govern, manage and secure IT to optimize business performance and sustain competitive advantage. For more information, visit www.ca.com.
Copyright © 2008 CA. All Rights Reserved. One CA Plaza, Islandia, N.Y. 11749. All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies. IBM, DS8000, HiperSocket, z/OS are trademarks or registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States and other countries.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.