Abbott Innovates Inside and Out with New Similac® Infant Formula for Immune Support and Revolutionary, Mom-Friendly Package
Abbott Nutrition Teaming with Redesign Expert Ty Pennington to Announce Similac Advance EarlyShield™ Inside New Similac® SimplePac™
Abbott today announced the launch of two innovations using the latest science in infant nutrition and consumer packaging. New on the inside: Similac Advance EarlyShield™ is an infant formula that is designed to be more like breast milk. New on the outside: Similac® SimplePac™ is Abbott Nutrition’s most significant packaging redesign of baby formula powder containers.
* Similac Advance EarlyShield supports a baby’s natural defenses and digestive health. It has important immunity building blocks similar to those found in breast milk. Similac Advance EarlyShield is the only infant formula that has a unique blend of prebiotics, nucleotides and antioxidants - nutrients found in breast milk.
* Similac SimplePac offers a simplified approach to feeding time. Redesigned with parent-friendly features such as a one-hand grip, hinged lid and scoop in the lid, Similac SimplePac is convenient and easy to use for mess-free bottle preparation.
* To unveil the redesign inside and out, Similac has partnered with Ty Pennington, a leading expert in redesigns that make people’s lives easier. Pennington is sharing his design expertise through “Ty’s Nursery Guide,” a free brochure that helps parents identify their nursery design style. In addition, the “Similac Custom Nursery Design Contest” is now open for entries.
The Science Behind Similac Advance EarlyShield
About 70 percent of the immune system is found in the digestive tract, so developing a strong immune system from birth begins with creating a healthy digestive system. Similac Advance EarlyShield is the only infant formula that has a unique blend of prebiotics, nucleotides and antioxidants to support a baby’s natural immune system.
* Prebiotics are special carbohydrates that can be naturally found in breast milk. They are also naturally found in foods such as bananas and some whole grains. Prebiotics serve as “food” for the good bacteria in the digestive tract. In this way, prebiotics stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria, which helps support a baby’s developing immune system. In addition, prebiotics can soften stools to be more like those of the breastfed infant.
* Nucleotides are special immune-building nutrients that help increase a baby’s ability to make important antibodies. The nucleotide blend and level in Similac Advance EarlyShield is designed to match the nucleotides in breast milk.
* Antioxidants play important roles in the body. Similac Advance EarlyShield has a unique blend of antioxidants including lutein, lycopene, and beta-carotene found in breast milk and can help protect the eyes and skin.
Similac Advance EarlyShield contains the same trusted nutrition as Similac® Advance®, including DHA and ARA for brain and eye development and calcium for growing bones.
Grip, Flip, Scoop with Similac SimplePac
The Similac team conducted extensive research with more than 1,600 moms to understand how to make formula preparation easier. Based on the moms’ feedback, Similac redesigned the standard baby formula can into an easy-to-use package. Research showed most moms felt that new Similac SimplePac made it easier to prepare a bottle.
* One-hand grip is easy to grab and hold.
* Hinged lid flips open and closes with ease and stays on the container, preventing it from being misplaced.
* Scoop in the lid is easy to find for mess-free preparation – no more digging through formula powder.
* Wide opening makes scooping out formula easier, while the rectangular shape makes home storage more convenient.
* Custom rounded corners exactly match the scoop to help moms and dads get every last bit of formula.
* Peel-back label opens for Spanish translation and additional information.
Similac Custom Nursery Design Contest and Free Nursery Guide with Ty Pennington
To celebrate Similac’s innovative redesign, Ty Pennington will help families redesign their nurseries with the “Similac Custom Nursery Design Contest” and “Ty’s Nursery Guide.”
*The “Similac Custom Nursery Design Contest” is now open for entries. Parents are invited to share their family’s story and how $10,000 for a dream nursery would help welcome their “new addition.” Each month for four months, one first-prize winner will receive a personalized message from Pennington, $10,000 to design a dream nursery and a consultation from a design professional. Three second-prize winners each month will receive $1,000. To enter and for full contest rules, visit www.SimplePac.com.
*Pennington collaborated with Similac to develop “Ty’s Nursery Guide,” a free, step-by-step guide that helps parents identify their nursery design style.
Commentary on Similac Innovations
Julie Segal, MD, pediatrician, Northside Hospital, Atlanta:
“As a mom and a pediatrician, the two new Similac innovations from Abbott Nutrition are really breakthrough. Parents who choose to formula feed will find peace of mind with Similac Advance EarlyShield, designed to help support your baby’s natural immune system. The new package is an added bonus, with innovative features that make bottle prep easier.”
Donald Patton, senior vice president, Abbott Nutrition:
“As a leader in infant formula, Abbott Nutrition is proud to introduce two more exciting innovations. To give babies a strong start in life, we have developed the first and only DHA / ARA formula that has the EarlyShield blend. Similac Advance EarlyShield helps support a baby’s natural immune defenses for good health. Our unique collaboration with moms helped us create the new Similac SimplePac, which raises the benchmark for convenient baby formula packaging.”
“Perhaps the best news for parents: we are offering Similac SimplePac and Similac Advance EarlyShield™ to retailers at no extra cost. These innovations provide additional value because feeding time is easier for parents and the formula provides immune support for babies at the same price per ounce.”
Russell J. Merritt, MD, PhD, medical director and chief scientific officer, Abbott Nutrition:
“Our science is bringing us closer than ever to the gold standard of breast milk with the introduction of Similac Advance EarlyShield. It’s the first and only infant formula to use a unique blend of prebiotics, nucleotides and antioxidants to support a baby’s immune system. Our Abbott Nutrition scientists are continually working to identify and develop advances in infant formula to support optimal infant nutrition.”
Ty Pennington, design expert, author and TV personality:
“I’m all about top-notch designs that make things easier for people, and this new package redesign from Similac definitely makes feeding time easier for moms and dads.”
The new Similac SimplePac will be available in 23.2- and 34-ounce sizes for Similac Advance EarlyShield, Similac Advance, Similac® Isomil® Advance®, Similac Sensitive™, Similac® Organic, and in a 22-ounce size for Similac® Go & Grow™ Milk-based and Soy-based.
The Similac SimplePac and Similac Advance EarlyShield innovations come at no extra cost to retailers, as the formula price per ounce will remain the same.
Similac Advance EarlyShield™ is also available as a ready-to-feed liquid in 32-fluid-ounce bottles. Similac Advance EarlyShield is available at major retailers nationwide on shelves next to other Similac products.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.