Citrix and Marathon Partner to Bring World Class High Availability and Fault Tolerance to Citrix XenServer
New Citrix XenServer 5 Includes Built-In High Availability “Powered by Marathon”
Boston and Littleton, Mass. » Citrix Systems, Inc., (NASDAQ: CTXS), the global leader in application delivery infrastructure and Marathon Technologies, the only provider of fault-tolerant, high availability (HA) software for physical and virtual servers, today announced that the XenServer HA capabilities highlighted in today’s Citrix XenServer™ 5 virtualization software announcement were jointly developed by Citrix and Marathon. The significance of this announcement for the industry is threefold:
1. Citrix XenServer Enterprise and Platinum Edition customers now get auto-restart high availability – built by availability experts - as a standard component.
2. Because the XenServer HA capabilities were developed jointly, Citrix XenServer and Marathon everRun® VM are fully integrated for fast installation and easy configuration and management of virtual machines at three levels: basic HA, component-level fault tolerance and system level fault tolerance (available Q1 2009).
3. The combination of Citrix XenServer 5 and everRun VM is the only solution available on the market that provides selectable availability and fault-tolerant protection for applications running in virtual machines.
Built-in High Availability from the Availability Experts
XenServer HA is one of the key enhancements of the new Citrix XenServer 5. Unlike other products that charge extra for base-level high availability, XenServer HA provides auto-restart high availability as standard functionality for Citrix XenServer 5 Enterprise and Platinum Edition customers. These customers can deploy base level availability across their enterprise. Citrix selected high availability partner Marathon Technologies due to Marathon’s proven expertise in providing award-winning high availability software for Microsoft Windows applications in physical and virtual environments.
“We wanted to give our customers the best high availability technology in the industry, and our open architecture and commitment to a strong ecosystem of partners allowed us to do just that,” said Lou Shipley, vice president and general manager, Xen Products Group, Citrix Systems. “Teaming with Marathon enabled us to provide enterprises with a range of availability solutions for the Citrix XenServer platform delivering the best performance, protection and value.”
Fully Integrated for Easy Installation, Configuration and Management
The two companies’ joint development of XenServer HA creates a seamless integration of XenServer HA and everRun VM. The benefits of this tight integration for IT professionals include:
* Streamlined setup and installation -– IT administrators can install additional levels of availability from everRun VM within minutes.
* Seamless integration between different levels of availability -– When administrators add everRun VM, it will automatically identify XenServer HA and provide them with a choice of three availability levels.
* Simplified availability management –- Configuration and management of all availabilty levels are easily done from the everRun Availability Center (EAC) web-based management interface to provide administrators with simplified availability management.
The Only Virtualization Platform with Selectable Availability – From High Availability to Fault Tolerance
When coupled with everRun VM, Citrix XenServer 5 is the only virtualization platform that lets IT professionals select the right level of availability for each application. XenServer 5 customers who add everRun VM will be able to select three levels of availability:
1. XenServer HA: Level One: Failover High Availability standard with XenServer 5 Enterprise and Platinum Editions for failure detection and auto-restart and failover capabilities for applications that cannot endure extended periods of downtime.
2. everRun VM: Level Two: Component Level Fault Tolerance for business critical applications with a requirement for little or no downtime (such as ERP and CRM).
3. everRun VM Lockstep Option: Level Three: System Level Fault Tolerance (available Q1 2009) for the most critical applications with a requirement for zero downtime and zero data loss.
“Our partnership with Marathon allows us to extend the built-in per-VM high availability capability in XenServer to offer a fully tailored level of availability per virtual machine – from basic high availability through to five nines fault tolerance,” said Simon Crosby, CTO Virtualization and Management division, Citrix Systems. “everRun VM is a game-changing availability offering, and makes XenServer the industry’s most powerful infrastructure availability platform.”
“Citrix and Marathon are both focused on eliminating complexity for IT professionals who are trying to do more with less by offering software that is completely automated and delivers the best price performance, said Gary Phillips, president and CEO of Marathon Technologies. “XenServer 5 with everRun VM lets IT administrators select the best level of availability for optimized price, performance and protection. The combination is still the only way for companies to get fault tolerant protection for their most valued applications running in virtual machines.”
Pricing and Availability
Both the everRun VM availability upgrade for Citrix XenServer 5 customers and the everRun VM bundle (XenServer 5 Enterprise Edition and everRun VM with level 1 and 2 availability) will be available October 30, 2008. For North America, suggested retail pricing is per server:
* Marathon everRun VM - $2000
* Marathon everRun VM with Citrix XenServer 5 Enterprise Edition - $4500
More information on Citrix XenServer 5 pricing and availability can be found at www.citrix.com/xenserver.
About Marathon Technologies
With more than 2000 global customers, Marathon is the world’s first and only provider of fault-tolerant, automated, high availability and disaster recovery software for physical and virtual servers. Marathon’s everRun® software prevents outages and data loss – without IT intervention. Organizations using everRun achieve uninterrupted availability, 100% data protection, and rapid recovery – all through “one-click” operation. In the past year the company has been awarded ten major industry accolades including the “Best of VMworld 2007 – New Technology” award for bringing fault-tolerant, high availability to virtual servers. CIO.com named Marathon Technologies one of “10 Virtualization Vendors to Watch in 2008.” The company was also recognized as a 2008 Computerworld Honors Program Laureate and named a winner in eWEEK’s Eighth Annual Excellence Awards Program. For more information visit www.marathontechnologies.com.
About Citrix XenServer
Citrix XenServer, a member of the Citrix Delivery Center product family, is the most powerful, open, easy way to virtualize application workloads across any number of servers in the datacenter as a flexible aggregated pool of computing resources. Unlike traditional virtualization solutions, XenServer addresses both virtual and physical servers, making the entire datacenter more dynamic. XenServer is also a key component of the Citrix Cloud Center (C3) product family, enabling cloud providers to deliver services with the best performance, security, cost savings and agility.
Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS) is the global leader and the most trusted name in application delivery infrastructure. More than 215,000 organizations worldwide rely on Citrix to deliver any application to users anywhere with the best performance, highest security and lowest cost. Citrix customers include 100 percent of the Fortune 100 companies and 99 percent of the Fortune Global 500, as well as hundreds of thousands of small businesses and prosumers. Citrix has approximately 8,000 partners in more than 100 countries. Annual revenue in 2007 was $1.4 billion.
For Citrix Investors
This release contains forward-looking statements which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements do not constitute guarantees of future performance. Those statements involve a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially, including risks associated with products, their development, integration and distribution, product demand and pipeline, customer acceptance of new products, economic and competitive factors, Citrix’s key strategic relationships, acquisition and related integration risks as well as other risks detailed in Citrix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Citrix assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release or with respect to the announcements described herein.
Citrix® and Citrix XenServer™ are trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. and/or one or more of its subsidiaries, and may be registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.