Sybase Furthers its Unwired Enterprise Strategy Through Agreement with Cable&Wireless
Company Extends No. 1 Position In SMS And MMS And Becomes World’s Largest Mobile Data Roaming Provider, Positions Sybase For Leadership In Next-Generation Mobile Services
DUBLIN, Calif. — July 2008 — Sybase®, Inc. (NYSE: SY), a leading provider of enterprise infrastructure and mobile software, today announced that it has entered into a partnership agreement with Cable&Wireless giving Sybase exclusive worldwide rights to market and sell mobile data roaming services. Sybase also announced that it has acquired the Cable&Wireless international inter-operator MMS Hubbing service.
“Messaging is the convergent platform for enterprise applications and a core part of our Unwired Enterprise strategy. Now, enterprises will be able to offer their customers access to all types of information anytime, anywhere, across any carrier network through a single platform only offered by Sybase,” said John Chen, chairman, CEO, and president of Sybase.
The MMS Hub and the management of the Mobile Data Roaming Service will be integrated into Sybase 365, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. led by Marty Beard, president.
“This agreement solidifies Sybase’s current and future leadership in global messaging reach for SMS, MMS and Data Roaming Services (GRX),” said Marty Beard. “We now have the strategic ability to adapt and grow services as the mobile ecosystem migrates to an increasingly multimedia/IP-based infrastructure. This is part of our continued commitment to add value to our operator and enterprise customers.”
IMPACT OF THE AGREEMENT:
* Sybase becomes the world’s largest GRX provider with 73 direct operator customers. Coupled with 17 peering agreements, the GRX reach extends to almost 500 mobile operators.
* Sybase becomes the world’s largest international MMS interoperability provider with direct peering agreements with 40 customers and reach to over 250 mobile operators.
* Integration of Sybase’s person-to-person (P2P), high volume U.S.-based MMS Hub with the newly acquired Cable&Wireless Hub creates a new geographically diverse MMS ecosystem enabling truly global exchange of MMS messages.
* Enables Sybase’s international operator customers to reach the high-value, high-traffic North American MMS marketplace and Sybase’s existing North American operator customers to reach over 250 operators worldwide.
* The amount of the all-cash transaction is undisclosed, and the transaction is not expected to have a material impact on 2008 consolidated results.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.