Overstock.com Improves Customer Shopping Experience with Oracle
Oracle® Coherence Integrates with Overstock.com’s Existing SOA Infrastructure to Reduce Critical Response Times
Redwood Shores, Calif.
* Overstock.com, an online “closeout” retailer offering discount, brand-name merchandise for sale over the Internet, has implemented Oracle® Coherence 3.3, in-memory data grid and component of Oracle Fusion Middleware, to enhance its SOA infrastructure and improve the search performance of its popular Web store, Oracle today announced.
* Overstock.com, ranked among the top 10 most trafficked retail Web sites on Cyber Monday 2007(1), foresaw potential bottlenecks in its infrastructure, given the massive and unpredictable loads experienced particularly during the busiest shopping day of the year.
* With Oracle Coherence, Overstock.com delivers fast and reliable access to frequently searched data, improving customer search response times by nearly 100 percent and guided navigation response times by over 200 percent. These improvements correlate to increased conversion rates and revenue.
* Start-to-finish, the Oracle Coherence implementation took just two months, leveraging the skilled Java development team at Overstock.com. Oracle Database and Oracle Real Application Clusters provide the data foundation for Overstock.com’s SOA architecture with Oracle Coherence providing added performance, scalability, resilience and reduced downtime.
* A component of Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Coherence enables users to push data closer to the application for faster access and greater resource utilization. By automatically and dynamically partitioning data in-memory across multiple servers, Oracle Coherence helps provide continuous data availability and transactional integrity, even in the event of a server failure. As a shared infrastructure, the offering combines data locality with local processing power to perform real-time data analysis, in-memory grid computations, and parallel transaction and event processing.
* In addition to utilizing Oracle Database and Oracle Coherence, Overstock.com also runs Oracle enterprise resource planning applications.
o “Online shoppers expect they will be able to search for products and get an immediate and relevant response,” said Sam Peterson, SVP, Technology, Overstock.com. “If the search process takes more than a second, the customer moves on to another site and we lose credibility and a potential sale. We put Oracle Coherence to the test on the busiest shopping day of the year, Cyber Monday, and we were very pleased with the consistently high performance the site delivered on customer searches, despite the additional workload.”
o “Oracle Coherence provides Overstock.com a very scalable caching solution, serving as a buffer between our presentation layer and our back end search layer, thus improving response times for frequently searched items,” added Allen Bettilyon, Senior Architect at Overstock.com. “Now that we have a strong processing layer with Oracle Coherence, we anticipate many other interesting use cases for this technology.”
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.