AVG Announces AVG Internet Security 8.0 Network Edition; Complete Security Protection for Small and Medium-Sized Networks
New Network Edition Provides Centralized Management and Configuration for up to 3,000 Networked Desktops, Notebooks and File Servers
AVG Technologies, a leading provider of Internet Security software products with more than 70 million active customers worldwide, announced today at the RSA conference the availability of AVG Internet Security 8.0 Network Edition. The network edition of AVG 8.0 provides centralized security management, configuration and reporting for up to 3,000 network-connected desktops, servers and notebooks. The announcement follows the February release of the desktop version of AVG Internet Security 8.0.
Version 8.0 delivers new protection against emerging threats including web exploits, drive-by downloads, phishing, and rootkits, and improved protection against traditional threats such as viruses, spyware and trojans.
“The real-time protection against drive-by downloads is especially critical for business customers,” said Rick Carlson, managing director of AVG North America, “because whenever a user surfs the Internet, they create a trusted yet insecure communications tunnel that generally bypasses the network firewall and therefore exposes the business to these new Web-borne threats.”
AVG Internet Security 8.0 Network Edition: Tough on Threats. Easy on Users
AVG has earned a reputation among network administrators as a provider of security solutions that are tough on threats but easy on the user. AVG software operates unobtrusively, minimizing the use of system resources. This enables businesses to maximize system performance and productivity while reducing desktop support expenses. The low resource utilization is an important performance benefit to many organizations who use older PCs or PCs running resource-intensive operating systems such as Microsoft Vista.
The software is also easy on administrators. In addition to offering centralized configuration and reporting, the Network Edition also supports remote installation and repair, security policy enforcement, license management and centralized updating.
Following is a summary of new and improved features for the network edition of AVG Internet Security:
* New Anti-Exploit Technology– AVG 8.0’s patent-pending safe surfing and safe searching technology is designed to protect users of Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers against drive-by downloads from poisoned web pages and flag dangerous search results in Google, Yahoo and MSN search engines.
* New Web Shield - Complementing the safe surfing and searching technology, the new Web Shield module scans files during download or exchange over ICQ or MSN instant messaging to ensure they are safe and free of malicious content.
* New High Performance Scanning Engine - AVG has re-engineered the scanning engine from the ground up to tackle viruses and spyware in a single pass, delivering improved performance and speed through support for multi-core computers, reduced system resource requirements, and streamlined maintenance.
* New User Interface - An updated administration interface makes it easier to centrally monitor, and manage client protection.
* New Anti-Rootkit - Removes and protects against rootkits, an especially pernicious form of malware that can give unauthorized third parties high-level control over infected computers.
* Improved Anti-Virus with integrated Anti-Spyware - Provides improved detection of hidden viruses, faster scanning, and more intuitive scheduling of scans. The new AVG 8.0 engine integrates what was previously a separate anti-spyware engine.
* Improved Resident Shield - Provides enhanced on-access scanning with the ability to scan multiple file-open requests simultaneously.
Availability, Specifications and Support
The network edition manages up to 3,000 clients running AVG Internet Security 8.0, announced in February. The network editions of AVG Internet Security 8.0 and AVG Anti-Virus 8.0, as well as specific implementations of both products for Microsoft Small Business Server, are available today and include one year of unlimited signature updates, program updates and technical support. AVG 8.0 supports computers running 32-bit and native 64-bit Windows operating systems.
The software can be downloaded for trial or purchase from www.avg.com and through a network of independent software resellers. AVG products are also available to North American resellers via a distribution agreement with Ingram Micro.
U.S. pricing for five, 1-year licenses of the AVG 8.0 Network Edition starts at $159.99 for the Anti-Virus version and $259.99 for the Internet Security version. AVG 8.0 SBS Edition pricing for five, 1-year licenses starts at $247.99 for the Anti-Virus version and $339.99 for the Internet Security version.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.