Dell and Goodwill Launch Free Computer Recycling Service for Consumers in Houston Area
Consumers in the greater Houston area now have a free recycling solution for used computer equipment. Dell and Goodwill Industries of Houston announced today the Reconnect alliance has been expanded to the Houston area. The alliance was announced at the opening of Computer Works in Houston today.
* Reconnect, a free drop-off program to recycle unwanted computers, was introduced today by Dell and Goodwill Industries of Houston.
* The Houston Computer Works store, located at 12230 Westheimer, provides an affordable retail outlet for refurbished computer hardware and software in the Houston community. Residents can learn more at www.houstoncomputerworks.org
* Reconnect offers consumers in Houston and 15 surrounding counties free recycling for any brand of computer equipment in any condition. Residents can find a drop-off location at www.reconnectpartnership.com.
* Program goals are to divert 1.5 million pounds of used computers and computer equipment from area landfills over the next year; and provide consumer education on the importance of environmentally-responsible computer disposal. Reconnect also can help create job opportunities for individuals with disabilities and other employment barriers.
* Reconnect now covers 57 Texas counties and approximately one-third of the state’s population. Reconnect Houston joins programs in the greater Austin and San Antonio regions.
* Other Reconnect programs currently exist in: Michigan (statewide); New Jersey (statewide); North Carolina (49 of 100 counties); the City of Philadelphia; the greater Pittsburgh region; Northwest Ohio, San Diego; and San Francisco (Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties).
“Goodwill Industries of Houston is very happy to begin the operational phase of our partnership with Dell,” said Steve Lufburrow, Goodwill Houston’s President and CEO. “Responsible recycling of e-waste is critical to our environment and we are excited to offer this program to the communities we service. We join Goodwill/Dell Reconnect partners around the country in this beneficial community effort while supporting Goodwill’s mission of serving people with disadvantaged conditions.”
“Dell wants to make computer recycling easy and free for any consumer, and ReConnect is an important program that helps make that possible,” said Joe Strathmann, head of product recycling services for Dell. “Becoming the greenest technology company means partnering with communities, stakeholders and customers to help protect the Earth. Our latest Houston partnership is an excellent example of that effort in action, and brings free computer recycling to even more Texas citizens.”
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.