Blockbuster Lineup for 2008 Announced
San Francisco, California—At the Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2008, Microsoft provided an exciting glimpse at what promises to be another landmark year for games and online entertainment on Xbox 360® and officially announced the launch of Gears of War® 2, exclusively for Xbox 360 this November.
Gears of War 2 Gears of War 2
The heroic saga continues in November, only on Xbox 360.
Providing a dramatic close to Microsoft’s GDC keynote address, the lead designer of Epic Games, Cliff Bleszinski announced that the epic saga of Marcus Fenix and Delta Squad continues exclusively on Xbox 360 this fall with Gears of War 2. This highly anticipated sequel to the 4.5 million-selling blockbuster Gears of War delves deeper into humanity’s struggle for survival against the nightmarish Locust Horde, and promises to take high-definition visuals to a whole new level.
“Gears of War 2 is an even bigger, better, and more badass experience than the first game.”
— Cliff Bleszinski, Epic Games
Fable 2 Pub Games
Acclaimed developer Peter Molyneux of Lionhead Studios also took the stage to showcase exciting new multiplayer features for Fable® 2, introducing dynamic cooperative play, a first to the franchise. Molyneux also announced that later this year, and before the launch of Fable 2, you can get a sneak peek at the game’s world when the Fable 2 pub games debut as a stand-alone download on Xbox LIVE® Arcade.
When Fable 2 launches, you’ll have the ability to transfer currency earned in the pub games directly to your character in Fable 2. This unique and first-of-its-kind experience, which can be found only on Xbox LIVE Arcade, will give the millions of Fable fans all around the globe the opportunity to jump into the Fable 2 world with money already in the bank.
Tomonobu Itagaki also revealed new Ninja Gaiden 2 game-sharing features, including “Ninja Cinema.” This feature, available solely through Xbox LIVE, lets you record and upload your best ninja moves to Xbox LIVE for the world to see.
“To our team the original game was just a tease, the appetizer to the Gears of War characters and new style of gameplay. We were so amped to get to the next chapter, and dig deeper into the universe of this franchise,” said Cliff Bleszinski, lead designer for Epic Games. “Gears of War 2 is an even bigger, better, and more badass experience than the first game, and we can’t wait to get it in the hands of eager gamers this November.”
Must-Have Xbox 360 Exclusives
This year, the hottest games will be found exclusively on Xbox 360, including the next chapters of top franchises such as Gears of War, Fable, and Ninja Gaiden, as well as new titles such as Too Human™.
* Gears of War 2 (Epic Games): Gears of War 2 is the sequel to the 4.5 million-selling blockbuster that redefined the third-person tactical action game genre. Gears of War 2 continues the story of Marcus Fenix and Delta Squad in an epic saga of survival, loss and retribution. Developed by Epic Games exclusively for Xbox 360, Gears of War 2 launches this November.
* Fable 2 (Lionhead Studios): In addition to the dynamic co-op mode unveiled onstage, Peter Molyneux also announced that Carbonated Games is bringing the Fable 2 experience to Xbox LIVE Arcade. Before the game’s launch, get an early taste of the Fable 2 experience and gain a head start on earning currency for use in Fable 2 by playing Fable 2-themed pub games, available for download from Xbox LIVE Arcade. The currency earned in these Xbox LIVE Arcade titles will let you to purchase items in Fable 2 when the game launches later this year.
* Ninja Gaiden 2 (TECMO/Team NINJA): Tomonobu Itagaki debuted several tantalizing new Xbox LIVE features of Ninja Gaiden II, including the ability to capture and share videos of your glorious battles via the Ninja Cinema feature and upload them to Xbox LIVE. Ninja Gaiden II launches worldwide this June.
* Too Human (Silicon Knights): Microsoft also showcased the epic action game Too Human from renowned Canadian developer Silicon Knights at a media event before today’s keynote address. In Too Human, you are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and firearms combat, plus deep role-playing elements fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the power of Xbox 360.
With online multiplayer gameplay, content downloads, and ways to stay in contact with a global community, these forthcoming blockbusters harness the power of Xbox LIVE to create truly innovative and exciting entertainment experiences. Each game also comes packed with Achievements, so Xbox LIVE members can help add to the more than one billion Achievements already unlocked on the service to date.
As with the Fable 2 pub games, content downloads in Xbox LIVE Marketplace give you the opportunity to customize and enhance your gameplay experiences. Since the service launched, Microsoft has seen more than $250 million in digital revenue from Xbox LIVE Marketplace through the purchase of more than 20 billion Microsoft Points.
Xbox LIVE members have been using a large portion of those Microsoft Points in Xbox LIVE Arcade, which is the premier destination for digitally distributed, high-definition original and classic games. With over 116 games to choose from on Xbox LIVE Arcade, everyone’s invited to get instantly immersed in the fun.
Xbox LIVE Arcade is also home to the world’s most innovative independent developers, with more than 25 independent studios serving as the creative fuel behind the original games that represent more than a quarter of the Xbox LIVE Arcade library. The following titles represent a sample of games launching on Xbox LIVE Arcade in the near future from the world’s leading independent developers:
* Braid (Number None Inc.): Developed by Independent Games Festival Winner and experimental game designer Jonathan Blow, Braid is a platform experience that bends all the rules with the manipulation of time. Braid will launch this spring.
* Castle Crashers (The Behemoth): Castle Crashers is the second title currently in development by award-winning independent developer The Behemoth, creator of Alien Hominid HD. The role-playing game (RPG) adventure will let up to four players hack, slash, and smash their way together through a visually stunning hand-drawn landscape. Castle Crashes launches this summer.
* Defense Grid: The Awakening (Hidden Path Entertainment LLC): Defense Grid: The Awakening is the definitive tower defense game experience designed specifically for Xbox LIVE Arcade and launches this summer.
* Go! Go! Break Steady (Little Boy Games): An Xbox LIVE Arcade exclusive, Go! Go! Break Steady is the debut title from independent developer Little Boy Games. The combination music and puzzle game combines break dancing with novel gameplay and launches this summer.
* Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness (Hothead Games): The first video game collaboration between Penny Arcade creators Mike “Gabe” Krahulik and Jerry “Tycho” Holkins and legendary game designer Ron Gilbert, Penny Arcade Adventures is an RPG-adventure game set in a highly stylized 1920s universe filled with bizarre characters, outrageous combat, and adult humor. The first episode of the game launches this summer.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.