Cisco Technology Powers the New Sports Museum of America
Fan Experience to be Enhanced with Cisco Emerging Technologies and Sneak Peek at “Stadiums of the Future”
NEW YORK, February, 2008 - The Sports Museum of America (SmA) today announced that Cisco® has been selected as the exclusive technology-solutions provider for the nation’s first-ever all-sports experience, set to open in New York City in May 2008. This state-of-the-art facility will provide sports fans with a chance to interact with exhibits, memorabilia and artifacts donated by individual athletes, more than 50 partner associations, including Halls of Fame and museums, and private collectors. SmA will also give visitors a glimpse into how the “stadiums of the future” will improve the fan experience through the use of technology and the delivery of exciting new fan services.
“Cisco is proud to be associated with this one-of-a-kind experience as both organizations share a common passion and commitment to sports and fan entertainment. Cisco will use the power of our unique technology solutions to enhance the visitor experience in the museum. Fans have a real association with their favorite teams, and their experience can be more intimate, interactive and immersive when Web 2.0 technology is applied in a complementary way,” said Jeff Platon, vice president of marketing, Cisco Sports and Entertainment Group.
Located in Lower Manhattan, the Sports Museum of America will showcase the spirit of America through sports, including the inspiring stories and heroes that resonate with fans of all ages. SmA will also be the new permanent home of the Heisman Trophy and the televised Heisman Award Presentation, as well as the Billie Jean King International Women’s Sports Center, which will include the first women’s sports hall of fame.
“We chose Cisco for the Sports Museum of America because of its superior technology solutions and industry leadership. Cisco has demonstrated a strong commitment to sports and is helping us create a unique experience for our visitors. We’ve designed SmA for sports fans first and foremost, and ensuring that they enjoy every moment of their visit and want to come back again is our primary goal,” said John Urban, president of the Sports Museum of America.
“The Sports Museum of America is a great example of innovation as it seeks to ’wow’ visitors using emerging technologies in fresh ways to educate and entertain its visitors. All the SmA activities and experiences are real-life examples of the power of the human network,” said Marilyn Mersereau, senior vice president of corporate marketing for Cisco.
The Sports Museum of America will use a wide variety of Cisco technologies to enhance the visitor experience. Highlights include:
* The “Stadium of the Future,” presented by Cisco - This exhibit will give visitors a sneak peek at the Cisco technologies that will make the experience of the game more intimate, interactive and immersive for fans, as well as provide new growth opportunities for teams and leagues.
* Interactive Sports Trivia Kiosks - Multiple kiosks will be available throughout the Fan Culture Gallery, offering visitors access to exciting content and interactive features, such as trivia, statistics and game video on-demand.
* Dynamic Digital Signage - High definition digital signage displays will be used at the box office, in the retail environment and throughout the museum. The displays will show a variety of dynamic content, including live sports video, ticketing information, special offers, sports facts and SmA updates in real-time. The displays will also show custom messaging about various exhibits, providing relevant information to fans throughout their visit, and creating showcases for exhibit sponsors.
* Cisco TelePresence Experience - This immersive video technology uses high-definition video and high-quality audio to create virtual “in-person” experiences over the network. Using Cisco TelePresence, visiting fans can meet face-to-face with star athletes and sports celebrities, as well as participate in roundtable discussions. SmA can also utilize this technology to host events incorporating industry experts, coaches and sports leaders from around the world.
* Social Networking - Since fans are everywhere, SmA plans to offer an online community through its Web site, using Cisco’s new entertainment operating system. Sports fans around the globe can join like-minded fans to discuss top stories, chat with athletes and speak their mind about their favorite sports.
In addition, SmA plans to add other emerging and advanced technologies from Cisco over time, in order to continue to enhance the museum experience for fans, families, its corporate customers, educators and the media.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.