NVIDIA and CGSociety Announce NVArt Award Winners
SANTA CLARA, CA and ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA─—NVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA) and CGSociety today announced the winners of the NVArt digital art challenge, the first in a series of worldwide competitions to be held during 2008.
The theme of the inaugural challenge was “Amazing Creations.” Artists were invited to submit computer-generated imagery that could exist only in a virtual, imaginary world. The winning art was unveiled at a reception at the San Jose Museum of Art on February 1. The event was keynoted by NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang and featured remarks from digital arts gurus Lorne Lanning of Oddworld Inhabitants and Mark Snoswell of CGSociety.
“The digital arts community and NVIDIA are natural partners. As NVIDIA graphics technology becomes increasingly programmable, it provides artists with an infinite palette for expressing their ideas,” commented Mr. Huang. “NVIDIA has always been inspired by the incredible creativity of 3D artists and content creators. NVArt is our way of celebrating and recognizing their creativity.”
“Throughout the ages, artists have been dreamers and visionaries, creating truly amazing and inspiring works of art,” added Mark Snoswell, president of CGSociety, a global organization for digital artists. “But they have been limited by the physical media in which they work. The NVArt competition embodies the attraction of digital art: the opportunity to create compelling images free from physical limitations.”
The winning art will be displayed at the San Jose Museum of Art through February 8. The art is available for viewing online at http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/01/winners.php.
* 1st place: “Growth of Cubic Bacteria” by Václav Pajkrt, Czech Republic
* 2nd place: “Corner Fire” by Brett Keyes, Canada
* 3rd place: “Leopardo” by Najeeb El-Faith, Saudi Arabia
* “Fractalissimo” by François Coulon, France
* “Many Ways” by Ramiro Amilcar Fernandez, Argentina
* “The Birth of Crystal - The Begin II” by Alvin Tea, New Zealand
* “Alien Biomechanical Shapes 00.2 - Alien Core” by Maciej Frolow, Poland
* “Torn” by Monsit Jangariyawong, Thailand
* “Coral Sim” by Brett Keyes, Canada
* “Rest of Sinews” by Václav Pajkrt, Czech Republic
The submissions were reviewed by a distinguished panel of judges, including:
* Pascal Blanche, Ubisoft
* Francisco Cortina, 3D Artist
* Lorne Lanning, Oddworld Inhabitants
* Stephan Martinere, Midway Games
* JoAnne Northrup, San Jose Museum of Art
* Shelley Page, Dreamworks
* Mark Snoswell, CGSociety
* Steven Stahlberg, Androidblues
* David Wright, NVIDIA
The first NVArt challenge was launched in October 2007 with the “Amazing Creations” theme. The next NVArt challenge theme is “Architecture and Landscape.” Submissions are due on March 10, 2008. For more information, go to http://events.cgsociety.org.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.