Henley Management College and the University of Reading enter discussions over potential merger
Henley Management College and Reading University have announced they are discussing a potential merger.
Under the terms of the potential merger, Henley Management College would combine its operations with the University of Reading, forming a significant institution which is capable of taking Henley’s world ranking even higher than it has achieved this year.
Paul Walsh, CEO Diageo plc and Chairman of the Court of Governors of Henley Management College said:
“Our vision as a business school is to be a world leader in the delivery of business and management education for organisations and individuals on the global stage.
“The potential merger under discussion with the University of Reading represents an innovative step forward for Henley Management College to meet this ambition by strengthening its capability to meet the challenges in the management education market.
“This is an important strategic decision for the successful development of Henley’s mission to deliver management and leadership development and education in the 21st Century and is fully supported by the Court of Governors.
“We are at a point in time where a combination of the assets of both institutions represents a great opportunity for growth on both sides.”
Access to a more extensive capital base will enable Henley Management College to build on its heritage of delivering world-class business and management training programmes to practising managers while helping it to strengthen its position in the MBA market.
The University of Reading’s internationally rated research capability, access to its expertise in climate change, sustainability and financial market trading will give Henley Management College additional capability in core areas of modern business competence.
Professor Gordon Marshall, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Reading, said: “This represents a wonderful opportunity to establish a new business school to prepare managers for the challenges of the 21st century with enviable core strengths but with the potential for innovative offerings to students, academics and corporate clients alike.
“The University of Reading is an ambitious institution and this will be a transforming step in further developing our world class reputation for teaching, research and enterprise.”
About Henley Management College
- Henley Management College is one of the top-ranked business schools in the world and, founded in 1945, one of the longest established and the world’s third largest supplier of MBA education.
- The first programme at Henley commenced in March 1948, and the Prime Minister Clement Atlee visited to perform the official opening ceremony in April 1948
- In recognition of its pioneering work, the College received a Royal Charter in 1991.
- Henley was one of the first business schools to achieve triple accreditation (AMBA, EQUIS, AACSB) in the UK
- Henley has produced the most DBA graduates in Europe
- The College delivers business education to managers in more than 112 countries worldwide with in excess of 5,400 people studying for a Henley MBA at any one time.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) September 2007 rankings, ranked Henley’s full time MBA as No 2 in the UK, No 5 in Europe and No 10 in the world.
- Henley’s Modular MBA was ranked 1st in the UK and 4th in the world (ahead of INSEAD and IMD) for Career progression in the Financial Times October 2007 rankings.
- In the Financial Times October 2007 rankings, Henley was the 2nd biggest climber in the UK and the 6th biggest climber in the world, moving up 12 places compared to 2006
- Ranked 1st in the UK and 5th in Europe for new skills and learning in the 2007 Financial Times rankings of Executive Education
- Ranked 2nd in the UK and 5th in Europe for quality of participants on open programmes in the 2007 Financial Times rankings of Executive Education
- Contact Information
- Lucy Ferguson
- Media Relations Manager
- University of Reading
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.