Sybase iAnywhere Announces SDK Support for Latest Bluetooth Wireless Specification
DUBLIN, CALIF. — Sybase iAnywhere today announced the availability of its Blue SDK 3.0, the latest version of the company’s leading embedded Bluetooth® software development kit. The new SDK provides support for the Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR specification enabling the use of the newest radio devices from companies such as Atheros Communications, Broadcom Corporation, CSR, Marvell, Qualcomm, STMicroelectronics, and Texas Instruments. The new Bluetooth wireless specification enables more secure communications and improves the ease of which Bluetooth wireless enabled devices can bond a connection.
The Sybase® iAnywhere® Blue SDK version 3.0 consists of the core protocol stack plus application level profiles that make Bluetooth wireless communications possible. All software is compliant with the Bluetooth Special Interest Group’s (SIG) specifications, ensuring device manufacturers that their products will adhere to industry standards.
“The Bluetooth SIG appreciates the contributions, commitment and dedication of Sybase iAnywhere within the Bluetooth community,” said Mike Foley, Executive Director, Bluetooth SIG. “Sybase iAnywhere contributions to the Bluetooth Core Specification v2.1 + EDR have supported the creation of user friendly and market needed improvements.”
“As a provider of embedded Bluetooth software since 2000, we are proud we can build support for the latest standards into our rock solid core protocol stack implementation,” said Mark Willnerd, vice president, Sybase iAnywhere. “We see this continuing the momentum around our Sybase Unwired strategy as Bluetooth implementations are now found everywhere, from mobile cell phones to stereo headsets to medical devices and automobiles.”
The Sybase iAnywhere Blue SDK version 3.0 software enhancements include features outlined in the Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR specification including:
* Security Mode 4 (Secure Simple Pairing): addresses both enhanced security and ease-of-use when pairing Bluetooth devices.
* Sniff Sub-rating: enhancements to the Bluetooth sniff mode resulting in the optimization of battery power.
* Link Supervision Timeout Changed Event: improves the reliability of piconets (an ad-hoc computer network of Bluetooth devices) in larger networks.
* Encryption Pause/Resume: introduction of a pause and resume command, whereby the encrypted link can be temporarily suspended to allow operations such as a master – slave switch to occur, followed by the re-establishment of the encrypted link.
* Erroneous Data Reporting: improves application performance by allowing erroneous audio packets to be tagged and passed to the upper application layers instead of being discarded.
* Extended Inquiry Response: addresses the need for a faster connect time between devices. It accomplishes this by incorporating into the inquiry process additional information such as local device name, profiles supported and additional manufacturer’s information.
* Non-Flushable Packet Boundary Flag: provides improvements for streaming stereo audio applications while protecting the data of other applications.
Additional Quality of Service (QOS) improvements are included in the Sybase iAnywhere Blue SDK version 3.0 and all the profiles currently provided with Blue SDK version 2.x are compatible with version 3.0 as well. Example profiles include Hands Free, Audio/Video, File Transfer, Basic Printing and others.
With over ten years experience working with wireless connectivity and synchronization protocols and hundreds of product design wins, Sybase iAnywhere has become a world-leading provider of Bluetooth protocol stack and application profile technology. Its large base of OEMs ensures the highest quality code written to specification, with industry proven reliability, functionality, and portability. Credentials include:
* Participation in the Bluetooth SIG on several levels
* Member of the Core Specification Working Group
* Section owner for many OBEX based profiles such as OPP, OPUSH, and FTP
* Participation in the Automotive Working Groups
* Participation in the AV Working Group
Version 3.0 of the Sybase iAnywhere Blue SDK is now available. Support for the Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR specification will follow for the Blue SDK for Linux and the Blue SDK for Windows CE products. A technical Webcast will be hosted on February 19th to provide the details of the enhanced features available in the Sybase iAnywhere Blue SDK version 3.0. Please visit www.sybase.com/blue_sdk_webcast to sign up or receive more information.
Sybase, iAnywhere, iAnywhere Solutions, Information Anywhere and SQL Anywhere are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of Sybase, Inc. or its subsidiaries. ® indicates registration in the United States of America. The Bluetooth trademark and logos are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by iAnywhere is under license. IBM, Lotus, Domino and Sametime are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both All other company and product names mentioned may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
Special Note: References to Sybase iAnywhere mean iAnywhere Solutions, Inc., a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. Statements concerning iAnywhere Solutions’ product market, relationships with its customers and new products are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks and cannot be guaranteed. Factors that could ultimately affect such statements are detailed from time to time in Sybase’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to its annual report on Form 10-K and its quarterly reports on Form 10-Q (copies of which can be viewed on the Company’s web site).
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.