NAVTEQ Map Content and Programs drive Location-Based Future at 2008 Mobile World Congress
NAVTEQ (NYSE: NVT), a leading global provider of digital map data for vehicle navigation and location-based solutions, announces its participation in the upcoming Mobile World Congress taking place in Barcelona from the 11th to the 14th of February. With more than 50,000 visitors the Mobile World Congress (formerly the 3GSM World Congress) brings together the pre-eminent leaders and personalities from mobile operators and equipment vendors, as well as those from the Internet and the world of entertainment and is considered the mobile industry’s biggest annual event.
With a broader presence this year, located at Hall 1 booth 1G45, NAVTEQ will host more than 10 partners and will launch and showcase its latest map data, rich content and developer programs including:
• NAVTEQ Discover Cities: With the launch of NAVTEQ Discover Cities, a bundle of map data, pedestrian geometry, mass transit information and pedestrian-relevant Points of Interest (POI) data built specifically for location-aware mobile devices, NAVTEQ puts the power of a pedestrian travel guide on a mobile device. NAVTEQ Discover Cities extends the power of the NAVTEQ® map by delivering detailed information about cities, tourist attractions, public transit systems and other data highly relevant to urban pedestrians traveling on business or as a tourist. It gives mobile consumers the information they need to find out what’s near them and how best to get there, delivered in a personally relevant fashion. Samples of prototype applications featuring NAVTEQ Discover Cities that virtually turn the navigation device into a personal location based tourist guide will be displayed on site.
• NAVTEQ’s Map Network: Map Network is a line of mapping and location technology solutions for destinations, events and venues that is part of NAVTEQ’s portfolio of content products and services. Developed in concert with expert partners, Map Network solutions comprise highly customized print, on-line and mobile maps, event guides and 3D tours - enabling brand differentiation in a new and relevant way. Map Network solutions and content management platform enable the creation, management, publishing and distribution of complex location content. Over 145 destination marketing organizations, hundreds of events and a wide range of venues including major hotels, convention centers and museums benefit from Map Network maps and solutions.
• NAVTEQ Network for Developers: Barcelona has also been designated to further extend the reach in the developer and operator community and to present officially NAVTEQ Network for Developers, a dynamic online web portal and functional tool that provides companies with technical and business support that enables application development. By offering access to an extensive assortment of valuable tools and data, the NAVTEQ Network for Developers site is on the forefront of a connected ecosystem designed to support growth in the next generation of location-based services. By simple web registration, developers benefit from sample NAVTEQ map data and access to industry-leading geospatial tools, online forums, frequently asked questions, e-mail technical support and NAVTEQ leading analysis and proprietary research. For more information or to register visit: www.NN4D.com.
• NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge ®: Initiated in 2003, NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge is the premier event for wireless LBS innovation, inviting developers around the world to build innovative, non-commercialized LBS applications that work with mobile phones and/or wireless handheld devices using dynamic positioning technology and NAVTEQ map data. Several key companies in the LBS developer community are working with NAVTEQ to sponsor this year’s Global LBS Challenge, bringing with them invaluable resources and opportunities.
Nokia globally sponsors the Challenge for the third consecutive year together with Autodesk for this 2008 edition. Joining them, additional influential sponsors and partners include deCarta, and PTV as Platinum sponsors, Telefonica (Movistar) and Orange as Gold sponsors. Sponsors and partners offered free access to tools, platforms and support to NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge developers in Europe. NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge ® participants compete for a sizeable global prize pool, valued this year up to an unprecedented €2 million, and consisting of cash, licenses and services from NAVTEQ and sponsors of the event.
• Booth Partners: companies joining NAVTEQ booth include Alk, Appello, AtlasCT, Magellan, NaviExpert, Network In Motion, PH Informatica, Ubiest, Webraska.
The Mobile World Congress will also be the setting where NAVTEQ will host for the third year the final judging and Awards Ceremony of the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge for EMEA respectively Sunday, 10 February and Tuesday, 12 February at Poble Espanyol, located next to the venue of the Congress. This year, executives from Fotovista/Dixon, O2, Truffle Ventures, Nokia, Autodesk, Vodafone, Deutsche Telekom, WebMobility, Telecom Italia, Innovacom and GPS and Co will serve as the official judges and will base their final decisions on the following criteria: commercial viability, unique functionality and features and ease of use.
• About the NAVTEQ Open Media Reception:
On Monday, 11 February, NAVTEQ will host an Open Media Reception in the beautiful setting of City Hall, Poble Espanyol de Montjuic, Avgda Marques de Comillas 13, 08038 Barcelona, Spain. The reception will be running from 12am to 03pm and allow journalists to choose the time that best suits their personal schedule to join the semifinalists of the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge and see applications running for the first prize. Attendees will also be able to meet NAVTEQ staff in a quiet setting and discover more about the latest map contents, NAVTEQ Discover Cities and Map Networks demos, NAVTEQ Network for Developers and taste at the same time some typical tapas from the buffet.
To confirm your presence to the press event, the NAVTEQ Press contact is Arianna Geith at email@example.com .
• About the NAVTEQ LBS Challenge Award Ceremony:
NAVTEQ LBS Challenge Award Ceremony will take place on Tuesday, 12 February, the second day of Mobile World Congress, at 15.00h at Poble Espanyol de Montjuic, Avgda Marques de Comillas 13, 08038 Barcelona, Spain. The admission to the Ceremony is free and the Awards program will be followed by a cocktail reception.
Poble Espanyol de Montjuic is five minutes walk from the Mobile World Congress venue and during the whole Congress, NAVTEQ shuttles to Poble Espanyol will be available at the shuttle pick-up area (look for the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge signs) outside the Convention Center.
For more information, visit www.LBSchallenge.com or refer to NAVTEQ’s staff on site during the show at the booth 1G45 Hall 1.
NAVTEQ is a leading provider of comprehensive digital map information for automotive navigation systems, mobile navigation devices, Internet-based mapping applications, and government and business solutions. NAVTEQ creates the digital maps and map content that power navigation and location-based services solutions around the world. The Chicago-based company was founded in 1985 and has over 3,100 employees located in 167 offices in 31 countries.
NAVTEQ, NAVTEQ Discover Cities, Map Network, NAVTEQ Network for Developers and the Global LBS Challenge are trademarks in the U.S. and other countries. © 2008 NAVTEQ. All rights reserved.
This document may include certain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, plans, objectives, expectations and intentions and other statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts and statements identified by words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “seeks,” “estimates” or words of similar meaning. The statements are based on our current beliefs or expectations and are inherently subject to various risks and uncertainties, including those set forth under “Item 1A. Risk Factors” in each of the Company’s most recent Annual and Quarterly Reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.