Fujitsu Announces "Pervasive Green" Initiative in Retail Industry
Fujitsu Transaction Solutions Inc. today announced its “Pervasive Green” initiative in the retail industry, a company-wide mission to develop and promote products that are both created and used in an environmentally friendly manner.
“Protecting and preserving the environment is very important, and as a company – from our parent Fujitsu Ltd. to our sister companies – we’ve taken steps to improve our products and manufacturing processes in a way that will positively impact the environment,” said Ed Soladay, chief operating officer at Fujitsu Transaction Solutions. “We want environmental responsibility to reach all parts of the retailing industry, and will develop and promote retail technology products that not only improve a retailer’s operations and bottom line, but improve their environmental footprint as well.”
Fujitsu has instituted several green initiatives to safeguard the environment, including:
* ISO 14001-2004 Certification – Fujitsu is compliant under the ISO’s 14001-2004 standard for environmental management. ISO 14001 is a voluntary, internationally accepted standard that defines requirements for establishing, implementing and operating an environmental management system (EMS). For two of its largest manufacturing facilities in California and New York, Fujitsu established an EMS that emphasizes “the three Rs” – reducing, reusing and recycling in its day-to-day operations in an effort to cut waste and prevent pollution.
* RoHS/WEEE Compliance – Since July 2006, all new Fujitsu retail technology has been RoHS and WEEE compliant. RoHS seeks to reduce the environmental impact of electrical and electronic equipment by Restricting the use of certain Hazardous Substances. WEEE governs the Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment by requiring companies selling into the EU (European Union) to recycle such waste.
* TeamPoS 3000 Hardware – This POS system is the first Fujitsu retail technology product to be launched under the company’s committed adherence to RoHS and WEEE “green” standards. Powerful micro-architecture mobile technology provides processing that is up to 150% faster and 85% more energy efficient than desktop dual-core technology.
* U-Scan® Self-Checkout – In addition to following the same RoHS and WEEE guidelines as the TeamPoS 3000, Fujitsu’s U-Scan self-checkout has been modified to support retailers’ green initiatives that include the elimination of plastic bags. The system has been redesigned with a special holding area for customers to place single or multiple “green” boxes. The U-Scan software also has been updated with a “My Bag” function to support customers that use reusable bags instead of plastic bags.
* Fujitsu Environmental Protection Program – This program seeks to establish sustainable management based on environmental management and group governance with provisions for super-green products and eco-efficient solutions. The program abolishes the use of specified hazardous substances, establishes product end-of-life recycling programs and improves product efficiency throughout product lifecycles.
* Product Recycling Program – Offers Fujitsu customers a used IT product take-back service. More than 40 percent of Fujitsu customers currently use the service, which covers servers, storage systems, legacy systems, point-of-sale (POS) systems and other IT products for retailers.
* Green Policy Innovation Project – Aims to achieve a cumulative reduction of more than 7 million tons of CO2 across all Fujitsu Ltd. companies from fiscal 2007 through fiscal 2010.
* Green Infrastructure Solution – Optimizes the energy efficiency of facilities across Fujitsu Ltd. subsidiaries that house customers’ IT equipment, including buildings and machine rooms as well as incidental facilities.
About Fujitsu Transaction Solutions Inc.
Fujitsu Transaction Solutions Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited (TSE: 6702), collaborates with retailing companies to relentlessly reduce their costs and facilitate consumer interactions that improve their profitability. Fujitsu’s Pervasive Retailing™ approach enables companies to minimize the time, cost and risk of creating interoperability between disparate applications and devices that support a multitude of consumer touch points. Fujitsu’s offering includes solution software, point-of-sale store technology, U-Scan self-checkout systems, self-ordering systems and multi-vendor lifecycle services. Customers include Canadian Tire, Chevron Corporation, Hallmark, H-E-B, Kroger, Loblaws, Nordstrom, Payless ShoeSource, Regal Cinema, Staples, Stop & Shop and The TJX Companies, among others.
For more information, please see: us.fujitsu.com/retailing
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.