From West To East, Verizon Wireless’ Network Is Ready For The Upcoming Winter Sports Season
Recent Network Enhancements in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New York, New England Just In Time for Winter Sports Season.
BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Dust off the winter gear. It’s time to wax the snowboard and skis. The snow-sport season has begun! Verizon Wireless, the leading wireless company with the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, is ready for increased call volumes on and off the slopes this season. Verizon Wireless’ ongoing investments and enhancements of its network ensure that customers can stay connected and enjoy an avalanche of popular products and services to suit any winter sports enthusiast.
Verizon Wireless has regularly invested in its nationwide network to provide the nation’s most reliable wireless service, including coverage at many of the most popular U.S. ski towns. This season, Verizon Wireless added new cell sites and enhanced its network to increase coverage and capacity, including ski destinations in the West and East.
In Colorado, Verizon Wireless added a new cell site in Winter Park, and expanded its broadband Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) network to include Winter Park as well as Copper Mountain, Keystone, Loveland, Snowmass and Steamboat Springs. Ski bums in Park City, Utah, are also able to enjoy the nation’s most reliable wireless broadband network with enhanced EV-DO technology.
Powder hounds in Nevada are also experiencing enhanced network coverage with a new cell site at Lake Tahoe’s Incline Village and improved coverage at the Diamond Peak resort. Verizon Wireless also added capacity to sites serving ski areas and surrounding communities including Truckee, South Lake Tahoe, Crystal Bay, Tahoe Donner, Donner Ski Ranch and Tahoe City.
In New England, the company has strengthened its network coverage at popular ski areas in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Whether they are hitting the slopes or sitting by the fire, skiers and snowboarders at Attitash-Barlett, Black Mountain, Cranmore Mountain Resort, Crotched Mountain, Gunstock Mountain Resort, Mt. Sunapee Resort, Pats Peak Ski Area, Ragged Mountain and Wildcat Mountain in New Hampshire can now access the company’s EV-DO network. In Massachusetts, Verizon Wireless added EV-DO capability to popular winter destinations in the towns of Princeton, Westford and Canton.
Winter visitors heading to Upstate New York this season will be able to enjoy their network coverage while taking in the fresh cold mountain air. Additional resorts throughout the region with increased network coverage include: Ski Windham, Catamount Ski, Willard Mountain and Maple Ski Ridge near Albany; Song Mountain, McCauley Mountain and Woods Valley around Syracuse; Bristol Mountain south of Rochester; Kissing Bridge south of Buffalo; and the Adirondack Mountain resorts along Route 28 within the towns of Old Forge and Webb, New York.
Verizon Wireless products and services come in handy on the way to and on the slopes:
* VZ NavigatorSM – Find your way to the mountain with VZ Navigator, a GPS-enabled Get It Now® application that enables Verizon Wireless customers to transform their wireless handsets into powerful navigation devices. VZ Navigator gives customers visual and audible directions to a destination, helps locate nearby places, like ski shops and coffee houses, and provides a map of a location. VZ Navigator is available for $9.99 for unlimited monthly access or $2.99 for one-day use on select Get It Now-enabled phones.
* Rand McNally Traffic – Get to the liftline without delay with Rand McNally Traffic, available on select Get It Now phones with a $3.99 monthly subscription. View personalized traffic maps with real-time speed data and incident information, and get real-time information about accidents, congestion, construction, road closures, event delays, toll plaza backup, and more.
* WeatherBug® – Check the forecast for the biggest snow dumps with WeatherBug, the leading live weather network provider, via text messages, through the Get It Now virtual store, on V CAST Video and through Mobile Web 2.0SM. Get streaming local weather data, severe weather alerts, detailed forecasts, local radar, live weather cameras, photos and more.
* G’zOne Type-S handset – Dropped your phone off the lift into the snow? No problem if you have the G’zOne Type-S handset. This rugged and weatherproof phone complies with Military Standards specifications for water resistance, humidity, shock and dust while offering a streamlined form factor and Bluetooth® headset capabilities.
* ZAGAT TO GOSM – Looking for the perfect après ski dining destination or entertainment hotspot? Find Zagat Survey ratings and rankings for over 24,000 restaurants and nightspots in 70+ cities with ZAGAT TO GO. Customers can browse listings by cuisine/category, neighborhood, feature and Zagat’s well-known top lists; sort by Zagat ratings as well as cost. ZAGAT TO GO is available for $2.99 monthly access on selected phones with the Mobile Web 2.0 service.
* Bones In Motion Active – Bones in Motion Active (BiM Active) uses GPS tracking technology to continuously monitor a mountain enthusiast’s speed, distance, calories burned, pace and route, on a run or throughout the day. Once the run or day is complete, customers can upload their activity to their own personal BiM Active online account where they can view their activity history, workout analysis and blog with other members of the BiM Active online community. BiM Active is available for a $9.99 monthly subscription or $1.99 for one-day use on select Get It Now-enabled phones.
Customers are charged for Verizon Wireless products and services according to their calling plans. Customers can sign up for the $15.00 V CAST VPak monthly subscription, which includes access to V CAST Video and Verizon Wireless’ ESPN MVP, Get It Now and Mobile Web 2.0 services. Customers get unlimited basic video but application download fees apply for 3D games and premium video. There are no airtime or megabyte charges to download, stream or watch V CAST content with any V CAST subscription.
Verizon Wireless is committed to delivering outstanding customer satisfaction and providing a positive wireless experience. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $40 billion since it was formed – more than $5 billion on average every year – to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. In 2006 the company invested $6.6 billion, and in the first six months of this year has invested $3.4 billion.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, go to www.verizonwireless.com, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 63.7 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 68,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.