Motorola Continues WiMAX Leadership in 2007 with 802.16e Network Deployments, Devices, and Historic Mobile WiMAX Handoffs
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT), a leading provider of wireless broadband solutions, today issued a year-end update on its wi4 WiMAX solutions and customer engagements. During 2007 Motorola increased to15 its number of contracts for commercial WiMAX networks and demonstrated the historic first live mobile WiMAX 802.16e handoffs between continuous WiMAX cells supporting voice, data and multimedia applications during WiMAX World USA in Chicago.
The company also:
* Increased to more than 57 the number of WiMAX engagements in 38 countries worldwide, including 44 active trials.
* Is on track to support Sprint/Xohm™ soft launch in Chicago by year end 2007 and is on schedule with deployment for the planned commercial launch in Q2 2008
* Delivered thousands of access points to customers worldwide and delivered tens of thousands of CPE units or PC cards for customer engagements including trials and commercial deployments currently underway
* Completed the deployment of the first 802.16e commercial WiMAX network in Pakistan for Wateen Telecom. The operator has since launched nationwide commercial services to corporate and consumer markets.
* Unveiled its test WiMAX mobile device and WiMAX chipset which will be embedded in consumer electronic devices to provide mobile Internet access.
* Completed the first phase deployment of two additional commercial WiMAX systems in France and Germany.
“We’ve seen tremendous progress in the deployment of 802.16e WiMAX technology worldwide this year,” said Fred Wright, senior vice president, WiMAX and Cellular Networks, Motorola Home & Networks Mobility. “With the recent and impending launches of commercial service by major broadband wireless operators worldwide WiMAX is set to become a mainstream broadband wireless technology at least two years ahead of other alternative technologies.. While we spent the majority of 2007 proving the commercial viability of WiMAX technology, we will see the commercial launch of dozens of WiMAX systems in 2008 with a wide variety of customer premises equipment, PC cards, mobile devices, and innovative applications.“
“2008 promises to be another exciting year for WiMAX and the entire 4G landscape,” said Phil Marshall, vice president, Enabling Technologies, Yankee Group. “We expect that in 2008 several large scale national WiMAX deployments will be announced in Asia and Europe. Currently our conservative forecasts are calling for 37 million WiMAX globally subscribers by 2011. ”
Motorola’s wi4 WiMAX portfolio was also recognized for several awards during 2007 including:
wi4 WiMAX CPEs
* - Winner Best of WiMAX World Award Europe 2007: Best Devices/Peripherals/Application Software - CPEi 300
* - Runner-Up Best of WiMAX World Award Europe 2007: Industry Choice Award
* - Best of WiMAX World Award USA 2007: Industry Choice Award CPEi 850
wi4 WiMAX Flexible Access Point and Product Portfolio
* - Winner NXTcomm Eos Awards 2007: Technology Innovation Group: Access Networking
* - Winner Networks Middle East (NME) 2007: Best Telcom/Service Provider Offering
Wateen Telecom’s Commercial Deployment of a wi4 WiMAX Network Solution
* - Winner Networks Middle East (NME) 2007: Best WAN Implementation Award
* - Runner-Up Best of WiMAX World Award Europe 2007: Commercial Deployment
Motorola’s wi4 WiMAX solutions are designed to support fixed, portable, nomadic and mobile applications. The WiMAX access points, customer premises equipment and mobile WiMAX chipsets under development for use in Motorola’s devices are part of the MOTOwi4™ portfolio of solutions that complement and complete wireless broadband networks. For more information on Motorola’s wi4 WiMAX and MOTOwi4 solutions, please visit: http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motowi4
Information on Motorola’s global WiMAX activity can be found at: http://www.firstcommunicate.com/motorola/wimax/w70814/worldTour/
Motorola is known around the world for innovation and leadership in wireless and broadband communications. Inspired by our vision of Seamless Mobility, the people of Motorola are committed to helping you get and stay connected simply and seamlessly to the people, information, and entertainment that you want and need. We do this by designing and delivering “must have” products, “must do” experiences and powerful networks -- along with a full complement of support services. A Fortune 100 company with global presence and impact, Motorola had sales of US $42.8 billion in 2006. For more information about our company, our people and our innovations, please visit http://www.motorola.com.
Motorola Home & Networks Mobility
Industry Analyst Contact:
Motorola Home & Networks Mobility
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © Motorola, Inc. 2007
Print Printer Friendly Version
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.