OW2 Releases JOnAS 5: New-Generation Dynamic Application Platform
The first Open Source platform offering:
- Breakthrough flexibility for tomorrow’s dynamic SOAs with unique OSGiTM architecture
- Easy application development and deployment through smart Java EE 5 support
- Ultimate scalability and high availability, with autonomous clustering management
Paris, France, 10 December 2007: OW2, the leading consortium in Open Source middleware, is today announcing the release of JOnAS 5.0, a new-generation release of its flagship application server.
Already deployed in production for thousands of enterprises and government applications worldwide, JOnAS 5 represents a breakthrough in application platforms, fulfilling the needs of organizations seeking to deploy open and robust Java application services while preparing for tomorrow’s flexible Service-Oriented Architectures (SOAs).
‘Dynamic SOAs are the cornerstone of the flexible, self-adapting information systems of tomorrow.” declared Cedric Thomas, CEO, OW2. “By providing the first Open Source dynamic application platform, with mission-critical grade scalability combined with the OW2 rich solutions ecosystem, we now offer the ideal platform for helping businesses build their SOA applications for today while preparing for the future.”
A New-Generation Application Platform
- JOnAS’ unique OSGiTM architecture provides breakthrough flexibility for SOAs. The first Open Source application server fully based on OSGiTM architecture and technology, JOnAS 5 offers a new-generation approach to application servers. Completely rewritten to be based on OSGiTM modules, JOnAS 5 implements a service-oriented architecture in the application server itself, enabling the server and its services to be dynamically adapted and extended depending on users’ needs and the constraints of their environment. As a result, with JOnAS end users benefit from a breakthrough modular and flexible platform, that can be dynamically adapted to their needs, upgraded without interruption of service, extended on the fly with new services and opened up to the multitude of third-party services from the OSGiTM world, such as RFID. Thanks to JOnAS 5, the OSGi and Java EE worlds will be able to share services.
- Easy application development and deployment, through smart Java EE 5 support. With Java EE 5 compliance and complete integration with OW2 EasyBeans technology (EJB3), JOnAS 5 offers simple development, integration and deployment features. JOnAS 5 leverages the ‘ease of development‘ features of Java EE 5 by providing additional facilities. In particular, the EasyBeans EJB3 container provides automatic reloading of classes and a faster development and deployment process. Large-scale deployments are also simplified with a smart and reduced API capable of downloading higher level APIs from the server. As a result, end users and developers can easily design, distribute and run their Java applications with low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Autonomous clustering management, offers ultimate scalability and high availability. As a result of the associated OW2 project JASMINe, JOnAS 5 now offers the most advanced cluster configuration and management tools in the Open Source world today. Dynamic clustering, load balancing and replication are ensured. It will also enable autonomous behavior, with self-repair and self-optimization according to set management rules. As a result, JOnAS 5 offers the perfect Open Source solution to organizations wishing to deploy highly scalable and available application services for mission-critical applications.
JOnAS 5 incorporates many innovations, combining years of research from the members of its development community across Europe (Bull, France Telecom, INRIA, LIFL, UJF, UPM...), Asia (CVICSE, Peking University...) and America (UNIFOR...). The objective is prepare for the dynamic SOAs of the future, while solving today’s enterprise needs for mission-critical scalability and availability.
An Open Foundation Platform For Dynamic Service-Oriented Architectures
As one of the cornerstones of the middleware solutions delivered by the OW2 consortium, JOnAS is at the heart of OW2’s new ’Reference Architecture‘. It is a foundation of OW2’s rich solutions ecosystem, which includes advanced portal solutions (such as the Exoplatform portal ), ESB solutions (including the Petals Enterprise Service Bus) and business process management solutions (combining the Bonita XPDL workflow manager and Orchestra BPEL solution), among many others.
“JOnAS 5 is a strategic milestone in the development of JOnAS,” concludes François Exertier, R&D Manager at Bull and JOnAS project Manager at OW2. “It embodies the mission and the values of our community: combining the open innovations of a large international community – including some of the leading IT research organizations in Europe, Asia and America – and our commitment to provide a platform for mission-critical computing. By introducing breakthrough modularity with OSGiTM architecture, we are providing a modular platform that can be easily complemented by third parties. It will also be well suited for Java EE 6 profiles. We call on other Open Source communities and ISVs to join us in our efforts, and to add contributions to this open platform.”
More information on the JOnAS project Web site
JOnAS 5.0 (Release Candidate) will be available on 14 December 2007.
More information about JOnAS is available at the JOnAS project Web site: http://jonas.objectweb.org
Founded in January 2007 as a result of the merger of ObjectWeb and OrientWare communities, OW2 is an independent industry consortium dedicated to developing Open Source code middleware and to fostering a vibrant community and business ecosystem. Building on the legacy of ObjectWeb and OrientWare, OW2 brings together more than one hundred organizations and 6,000 developers in Europe, Asia and the Americas. OW2 hosts over one hundred technology Projects, including Lomboz, Funambol, eXo Platorm, XWiki, SpagoBI and JOnAS. Several of these projects are combined into market-driven Initiatives, such as the ESB/SOA Initiative and the Business Intelligence Initiative, which facilitate their implementation by systems integrators, OEMs and end-users. A typical global Open Source organization, OW2 aims to bring together grassroots communities across all continents through Local Chapters.
More information about OW2: www.ow2.org
About Bull, Architect of an Open World
As one of the leading European IT companies, Bull delivers open, flexible and secure information systems. The group helps public and private sector customers transform their information systems, applying its know-how and expertise in three main areas:
- Capitalizing on its extensive mainframe experience, Bull designs and produces robust, innovative and open servers, based on industry-standard technologies;
- Building on its alliances with leading ISVs, Bull develops and implements flexible and interoperable application infrastructures which give business processes the freedom to evolve;
- Bringing together recognized expertise in end-to-end IT security, Bull secures data and exchanges that are so critical in preserving customers’ business integrity.
Bull has a particularly strong presence in the public, healthcare, finance, telecommunications, manufacturing and defense sectors. Its distribution network and business partners cover more than 60 countries worldwide.
For more information visit: http://www.bull.com
Anne Marie Jourdain
Tel: +33 (0)1 30 80 32 52 – +33 (0)6 80 93 87 68
Tel: +32 24 26 85 23
Fax: +32 27 919 219
- Contact Information
- Cedric Thomas
- OW2 Consortium
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.