Verizon Brings Blazing-Fast Computer Connections to Customers in Georgetown
New Fiber-to-the-Premises Network Delivers FiOS Broadband Services to Consumers, Small Businesses
November 9, 2005, GEORGETOWN, Mass. -- Verizon customers in Georgetown can experience breathtaking high-speed Internet access as the company unveils its Verizon FiOS (FYE’-ose) suite of Internet services to homes and small business here.
A growing number of residents and small businesses in Georgetown now can order the industry’s premier mass-market broadband services.
The company is offering several tiers of service with downstream (download) speeds of up to 5, 15 and 30 Mbps (megabits per second) and upstream (upload) speeds of up to 5 Mbps.*
Verizon is already delivering Fios services over its new fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) networks in half the states where it offers landline communications service. In Massachusetts, FiOS Internet Service now is widely available to customers in 22 communities.
Residential customers who want to determine whether they can order FiOS Internet Service can call 888-GET FIOS (888-438-3467) or visit Verizon’s FiOS Web site at www.verizonfios.com. Small businesses can contact their local Verizon business office or account manager to determine if they qualify for FiOS Internet Service for Business.
FTTP technology utilizes fiber-optic connections - instead of copper wire - directly into homes and businesses to enable a broad array of voice, data and video applications. In addition to its current FiOS Internet Service, Verizon plans to launch FiOS TV to compete directly with cable-TV providers. Once the necessary network equipment is in place, FiOS TV will be available in markets where Verizon has negotiated cable franchise agreements with local authorities.
“FiOS is setting the new standard for consumer and small-business broadband services in America,” said Donna Cupelo, Verizon president of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. "Customers who already subscribe to FiOS services are astounded at what they now can do with their online experience. Video chats and conferencing, purchased digital movie downloads and interactive multi-player games have become a part of their daily lives.
“And FiOS for Business gives companies robust connection speeds for bandwidth-intensive applications at prices close to those the companies pay for ordinary broadband services,” said Cupelo.
For Consumers, Blazing Speeds at Affordable Prices
Each FiOS service for consumers is available either as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Consumers can receive a discount with a one-year commitment to FiOS, along with free installation of their primary computer.
There are three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service for consumers:
* 5 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with a one-year agreement or as part of a calling package, or $39.95 a month stand-alone.
* 15 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Appealing to families that have multiple computers and various needs such as media downloads and the ability to access or share large files. $44.95 a month with a one-year agreement or as part of a calling package, or $49.95 a month stand-alone.
* 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $179.95 a month with a one-year agreement or as part of a calling package, or $199.95 a month stand-alone.
Each consumer data offer includes the suite of services currently available to Verizon Online DSL customers at no additional charge, including: MSN Premium content and features; Verizon’s new Broadband Beat entertainment portal optimized for high-speed access featuring news, games, streaming video and more; up to nine e-mail accounts with 30 megabytes (MB) of storage for the primary account and an additional 10 MB for each sub-account; address book and calendar; 10 MB personal Web space and a Web-site building tool; and access to newsgroups.
Small Businesses Can Get Big-Biz Speeds
Small-business owners can choose from three flavors of service and either a dynamic Internet protocol (IP) address or a static IP address. Dynamic IP addresses are best suited for small businesses that do not have a Web site but still use the Internet for research or light to moderate e-mail. Static IP addresses, where a specific Internet routing code is assigned for exclusive use, are ideal for small businesses that:
* Are highly automated.
* Need to host Web or e-mail servers, or both.
* Use e-mail extensively to send large files with attachments.
* Have e-commerce capabilities.
* Have employees who telecommute.
The three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service for Business are:
* 15 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Ideal for companies performing significant amounts of online research. Its upstream speed accelerates transactions and large-file transfers. $59.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $99.95 a month with a static IP address.
* 5 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. A powerful symmetrical service, with the same high capacity downstream and upstream. Suited for companies with multiple computers needing Internet access and e-mail. $169.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $209.95 a month with a static IP address.
* 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive companies with bandwidth-hungry needs such as video streaming, network storage applications and Web hosting. $349.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $389.95 a month with a static IP address.
Business customers can receive discounts by buying the service as part of a Verizon package that includes local and long-distance service. The Freedom for Business package offers a 20-percent discount off the monthly charge, making the 15/2 Mbps service only $47.95 with a dynamic IP address. Veriations for Business offers a 10-percent discount off the monthly charge for a dynamic or static IP address. A one-year agreement is required for any service tier, with or without a package.
All business service tiers include free professional installation and 24x7 business-grade technical support. Companies also receive 20 Mb (megabytes) of Web space and unlimited remote dial-up access that keeps employees connected when they’re on the road.
* NOTE: Actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other communication innovations to wireline and wireless customers. Verizon operates America’s most reliable wireless network, serving 49.3 million customers nationwide, and one of the nation’s premier wireline networks, serving home, business and wholesale customers in 28 states. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of nearly 215,000 and generates annual revenues of more than $71 billion from four business segments: Domestic Telecom, Domestic Wireless, Information Services and International. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
- Contact Information
- Patricia Harty
- Verizon Communications Inc.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.