IBM Shares Plans for New Tools to Support Tivoli System z Management Software
IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced new management and security features to help customers exploit the market-leading capabilities of System z to improve productivity and support for new business processes.
The upgrades, announced at the 2007 Governance & Risk Management Summit in Sanya, China, build upon IBM’s strong commitment to deliver security and business resilience through its IBM Mainframe z/OS as well as previously announced offerings.
“Today we are strengthening System z management with enhanced tools and an intuitive, easy to use interface for the most demanding computing environments,” said John Kogel, VP of Tivoli Development. “Tivoli software operates as the ’brains’ behind the mainframe. We’re helping customers with performance and applications management, system and workload automation, network and storage management, financial and usage reporting and security management.”
IBM is the market revenue leader in performance and availability management software for 2006, according to the analyst firm IDC. In its August 2007 report, “Worldwide Performance and Availability Management Software 2006 Vendor Shares,” (IDC document #208193), IDC cited how IBM led in market share for performance and availability management software as well as event automation software.
As an extension of IBM’s $100 million Mainframe Simplification investment announced in 2006, the new software portfolio helps System z clients manage increasingly complex and inter-dependent applications. Through open standards, the Tivoli enhancements deliver new levels of productivity while safeguarding the security of their data. New capabilities such as Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for CICS Transaction Gateway and Tivoli Composite Application Manager for SOA enable customers to roll out new business applications rapidly.
IBM also recently unveiled upgrades to its Rational software portfolio to help System z clients shorten deployment cycles and help developers with diverse technical backgrounds to jointly create higher-value technology solutions.
Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for CICS Transaction Gateway helps customers proactively manage critical workloads and resources. This is particularly important as more businesses rely on composite applications that access mainframe resources. And, as more organizations move to a flexible SOA computing infrastructure, Tivoli Composite Application Manager for SOA will help customers get the most from their composite applications.
Through the end of this year, IBM Tivoli plans to update its comprehensive portfolio of System z solutions, including:
* Enhancements to Tivoli’s infrastructure management solutions such as OMEGAMON XE on z/OS for improved problem determination and analysis, and OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert to manage the efficiency and performance of DB2 applications, and OMEGAMON XE on z/VM and Linux to manage Linux workloads, identify, isolate, and resolve problems across z/VM and Linux and optimize the z/VM Linux environment; extensive real-time management and reporting features for both the OMEGAMON Classic 3270 user interface and the Tivoli Enterprise Portal (TEP) and also Day 1 support and exploitation of new features for IBM’s major mainframe system and sub- system new releases;
* Advancements in Tivoli’s application, workload and availability management solutions such as System Automation with automated alert, escalation and tracking, and Tivoli Dynamic Workload Broker to transform static IT infrastructures into dynamic, virtualized environments by dynamically routing workloads to the best available resources;
* Improvements across Tivoli’s network and storage management solutions such as NetView for z/OS pre-defined conditions, expert advice and expanded support for IPv6, and OMEGAMON XE for Storage to manage performance and availability of mainframe-attached storage including DASD, tape devices, and the datasets that reside on them;
* Enhancements for Tivoli’s service management and financial management solutions including Usage and Accounting Manager to help organizations optimize and align business goals with IT spending, Tivoli Decision Support for new Web-based reporting, and Service Request Manager for visibility to performance metrics and Service Level Agreements as well as a single service desk for both IT and corporate assets;
* Advancements for Tivoli’s security and compliance management solutions including multiple releases from the Tivoli zSecure portfolio, designed to help administer the mainframe security server, monitor for threats, audit usage and configurations, and enforce policy compliance. Administration, provisioning, and management products of the suite can significantly reduce administration time, effort and costs. Audit, monitoring and compliance software help ease the burden of compliance audits, improve security and incident handling, and increase overall operational effectiveness. These are part of the Tivoli zSecure Release 9 in December.
About IBM’s Five-Year March to Mainframe Simplification
Announced in October of 2006, IBM launched a cross-company effort to make the IBM System z mainframe -- the world’s most sophisticated business computer -- easier to use for a greater number of computer professionals by 2011. The goal of this five-year effort, which will include an investment of approximately $100 million, is to enable technology administrators and computer programmers to more easily program, manage and administer a mainframe system -- as well as to increasingly automate the development and deployment of applications for the mainframe environment. The initiative, involving a team of hardware and software experts, leverages IBM’s expertise in automation and systems management.
For System z product information, visit www.ibm.com/systems/z
All information released in this announcement represents IBM’s current intent, is subject to change or withdrawal, and represents only goals and objectives.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.