DHL Ramps Up For The 2007 Holiday Shipping Season
World’s Leading Express Delivery Company Offers More Routes, Personnel and New Customer Solutions to Meet Increasing Demand During the Holidays
DHL, the world’s leading express delivery and logistics company, is ramping up its facilities and workforce across the country and around the world in anticipation of the high volume of packages moving through its global network during peak season - the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Beginning the week of Thanksgiving, DHL expects U.S. shipment volumes to grow, peaking on Monday, December 17, 2007 - its busiest shipping day of the year - when it expects a 50 percent increase over average daily volume for the first three quarters of 2007. DHL estimates average daily shipment volume in the U.S. during the month of December will be 25 percent higher than average daily volume for the first three quarters of the year.
“DHL’s investment in additional routes, fleet and staff during the peak season ensures we continue to deliver the highest level of customer service and responsiveness in the face of increasing seasonal demand,” said John Cameron, executive vice president of operations for DHL USA. “With the help of our dedicated employees and trusted partners, we are focused on making the holiday season easier for our customers by offering convenient access to our network and a range of shipping solutions to meet their needs.”
In time for the holidays, DHL recently introduced the industry’s first prepaid, all-inclusive flat-rate box, designed to minimize time, paperwork and expense for customers shipping in the U.S. The new ShipReady(TM) box provides 2nd day delivery service, without any weight restrictions, for one inclusive fee to and from all points within the 48 contiguous states.
DHL reports the following additional highlights for its U.S. operations during the 2007 peak season:
- To meet increased capacity requirements, DHL’s airline partners will fly more than 425 additional domestic point-to-point routes on nights, days and weekends, totaling more than 8,000 flights during the peak season.
- DHL will add more than 440 daily truck routes to its regular network schedule, a 25 percent increase over its average daily ground linehaul capacity.
- Nearly 10,000 staffers, including hundreds of seasonal and temporary workers, will work around the clock at the DHL’s principal air and ground hub in Wilmington, Ohio, to ensure customer packages reach their destinations in time for the holidays.
- The workforce will also increase at DHL’s 18 other U.S. regional sort centers by 50 percent.
- Average daily volume for DHL@home, DHL’s business-to-consumer service in partnership with the U.S. Postal Service, will more than double during the month of December driven by online retailers, catalog companies and other business-to-consumer shipments.
- During the month of December, DHL expects to double the volume of packages handled through DHL drop boxes and its nationwide retail network of DHL Authorized Shipping Centers(R), including OfficeMax locations and independent mail and parcel centers.
- During the month of December, DHL projects a 10 percent increase in customer shipments processed online and a 30 percent increase in online tracking requests over last season.
DHL offers a variety of access points and solutions to help customers prepare and manage all of their shipping needs. Customers can drop packages off at any one of DHL’s 470-plus service centers, 4,400 retail shipping locations, and DHL drop boxes across the U.S. Customers can also log on to www.dhl-usa.com or call 1-800-CALL-DHL to schedule a pick up at home or at work.
Important Dates for Holiday Shipping
To ensure their shipments arrive in time for the holidays, customers can ship packages as late as December 21 using DHL’s next day 10:30am, 12:00pm and 3:00 pm services. The deadline for shipping packages via DHL 2nd day is December 19, and the last day to ship with DHL Ground or DHL@home is December 14. For those special last-minute deliveries, customers can turn to DHL’s Same Day Service, which operates 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
For more information on how DHL is preparing for the 2007 holiday season, visit www.dhl-usa.com/holiday/. Members of the media may access free multimedia, including DHL video content and print-quality stills, by visiting www.thenewsmarket.com/DHL. Media may also request interviews and visits to DHL service centers around the nation to photograph stills or B-roll by contacting the DHL USA Press Office at (954) 888-7114 or email@example.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.