Symantec to Extend its Leadership in Information-Centric Security
Proposed Vontu Acquisition and Data Loss Prevention to Play a Central Role in Symantecís Security 2.0 Vision and Strategy for Information Risk Management
Taking another step forward in its vision for Security 2.0, Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced its intent to acquire Vontu and its plans to integrate Vontuís Data Loss Prevention solutions into Symantecís broader portfolio. Combining Symantecís market-leading security and storage capabilities with Vontuís market-leading DLP technologies will create the most comprehensive Information Risk Management solution on the market.
The acquisition is expected to close in the fourth calendar quarter of 2007, subject to receiving regulatory approvals and satisfaction of other customary closing conditions.
ďAs part of our Security 2.0 vision, we have long been pushing a view that security should be driven by policy, focused on information and supported by a managed infrastructure,Ē said Tom Kendra, group president, Security and Data Management Group, Symantec. ďThrough internal innovation and acquisition we have solutions to help companies define and implement policies, manage and protect information, and secure and manage their systems and devices. Vontuís offerings provide insight into the information itself, the context in which itís being used and the controls needed to prevent its loss.Ē
With data breaches becoming more frequent, costly and regulated, itís no surprise that data loss prevention is top of mind for IT and business leaders. A September Goldman Sachs Security Spending Survey indicates more than 50 percent of CISOs believe data leakage to be a top driver of their organizationís security spending. IDC estimates the Information Protection and Control market to reach $3.2 billion by 2011, representing a 33 percent compound annual growth rateĻ.
A Comprehensive Portfolio for Information Risk Management
Information Risk Management combines threat protection and information control into an integrated set of products, enabling organizations to keep the bad things out (information security), to keep the important things in (data loss prevention), and to manage, retain and find that information when needed (e-discovery).
The ability to manage these different challenges requires a level of expertise in security and storage that Symantec is uniquely positioned to provide. Symantec already provides a set of products and services that enable companies to:
* Identify their areas of information risk and define the policies to mitigate those risks.
* Implement, automate and monitor controls around those policies.
* Reduce the risk of malware and spam from entering an organization.
* Protect the systems and devices where information lives, including servers, databases, storage systems, laptops and smartphones.
* Securely control access to networks and enforce endpoint security policies.
* Protect and manage information in message archives and data centers.
* Provide a real-time mechanism to aggregate, correlate and analyze behaviors.
* Conduct post-breach forensics to determine what information was lost.
DLP: A Core Component of Information Risk Management
Vontuís products will complement Symantecís existing portfolio with a comprehensive platform to prevent the loss of confidential data wherever it is stored or used - across endpoint, network and storage systems.
* Endpoint: Vontu Endpoint solutions allow companies to prevent confidential data from being copied to USB drives, burned to CD/DVDs, and downloaded to local drives, as well as discover and protect confidential data stored on laptops and desktops.
* Network: Vontu Network Monitoring and Prevention solutions stop confidential data from being sent outside the organization via email, webmail, FTP, IM and other Internet protocols to help organizations ensure compliance with data security and privacy policies.
* Storage: Vontu Data Discovery and Protection solutions help organizations understand where confidential information is stored and quickly find and fix exposed data on file servers, databases, document management systems, laptops and desktops. Vontuís proven solutions also help companies address PCI compliance, e-Discovery, data classification and data governance objectives.
* Policy Management: Vontu offers a centralized platform for policy management, detection, workflow and remediation that enables organizations to define policies once and enforce them everywhere.
Layering Data Loss Prevention across the Symantec Portfolio
Following the close of the acquisition, Symantec plans to layer Vontuís DLP technologies across Symantecís existing endpoint security, network security, storage and compliance solutions creating the most comprehensive solution for Information Risk Management. Unlike point products that only cover the endpoint or the network, this multi-layered solution will provide customers with a comprehensive way to dramatically reduce the risk of data loss.
Following the close of the acquisition, the Vontu team will operate as dedicated team within Symantecís Security and Data Management Group, continuing to build on the Vontu DLP 8 product suite. Vontu DLP 8 is the industryís first integrated solution that combines endpoint and network-based technology to discover and protect data wherever it is stored, as well as monitor and prevent inappropriate data usage.
For additional information on the Vontu acquisition please visit: http://go.symantec.com/Vontu.
About Security 2.0
Security 2.0 is Symantecís vision for the future of security. As the threat landscape evolves and new ways of doing business and communicating emerge, security must evolve to become more business enabler than inhibitor. Security solutions must protect consumers and businesses at every connection giving them confidence that their information and interactions are protected everywhere they go. For enterprises, this requires taking a more policy-driven, information-centric approach to security that is supported by a managed infrastructure.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.