Google Adds Postini’s Security and Compliance Capabilities to Google Apps™
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) today announced that Postini’s email security and compliance services have been added to Google Apps Premier Edition. Google acquired Postini last month to help companies realize the benefits of hosted applications while also addressing complex information security and compliance requirements.
“With Postini, we saw the potential to deliver a more complete hosted solution for businesses of all sizes,” said Dave Girouard, vice president and general manager of Google Enterprise. “We are quickly adding Postini’s market-leading security and compliance capabilities to Google Apps Premier Edition to give businesses more control over the administration and security of these applications.”
The new security, compliance, policy management, and message recovery services added to Google Apps Premier Edition give customers the ability to:
* Set configurable spam and virus filtering that are customized for the nature of the business, complementing the spam and virus filters already included in Google Apps.
* Centrally manage all outbound content policy, including adding footers to every message based on business policy rules, blocking messages with specific keywords or attachments, and preventing emails with sensitive company information from being sent.
* Create, manage, and report on policies that apply to user groups or individual users.
* Give administrators the option of visibility into all email within their organization for the purposes of compliance.
* Restore messages inadvertently deleted in the last 90 days.
Additional improvements to Google Apps Premier Edition include:
* A new email routing feature (also available in Google Apps Education Edition) that allows organizations to run Google Apps alongside another email solution. Using email routing, administrators can easily run a pilot program of Google Apps (without turning off the existing email system), migrate a subset of users to Google Apps, or segregate groups of users onto a separate email solution (such as the legal department, which may be subject to different policies).
* An immediate increase in storage to 25 GB per user (up from 10 GB).
As a bonus to Postini’s customers, Google is also now offering a free extended trial of Google Apps Premier Edition to all new and existing Postini customers. Customers who sign up for Postini services prior to Dec. 31, 2007 will be able to use Google Apps Premier Edition (including the award winning Gmail application with 25 GB of storage per user) at no cost until June 30, 2008. Postini customers will find information about this offer and setup instructions on the Postini customer portal.
Hosted services, like Google Apps and Postini solutions, provide organizations with high quality communication and collaboration tools without the expense and hassle of traditional on-premises solutions. Google Apps, which includes Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Talk, Google Docs, and the Start Page, has been adopted by hundreds of thousands of businesses and millions of users already. Postini information security and compliance products are used by more than 36,000 businesses and 11 million users. Google intends to continue offering and expanding Postini’s messaging security and compliance products on a stand-alone basis.
These Postini security and compliance capabilities are available immediately at no additional cost in the English-language version of Google Apps and will be available in the international version of Google Apps, available in 27 languages, next month. For more information, please visit http://www.google.com/a/enterprise/.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.