AOL Introduces New AIM Version 6.5
New AIM Tunes Plugin Allows AIM Users to Stream Buddies’ Music
DULLES, Va.- AOL today announced the launch of the new AIM 6.5 software. Available as a free download at www.aim.com, the new AIM offers a variety of new instant messaging features, including enhanced mobile messaging and a new status message feature. The new AIM 6.5 also showcases two new plugins built using Open AIM APIs that let users stream music and play casual online games.
“With the latest release of AIM, we continue to provide our users with the tools that make it easy for them to connect and share their lives with their social circles in real-time wherever they may be,” said Marcien Jenckes, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Messaging and Social Media, AOL. “As social media booms, we’re introducing even more ways to help our users connect. AIM users can now send a text message to one friend or broadcast a personal message to all of their friends right from the AIM Buddy List.”
Features in the new AIM 6.5 include:
* AIM® Tunes Plugin: This plugin allows users to stream non-DRM music that their buddies have added to their playlists. AIM users can listen to the music on their PCs anytime their buddies are online while fully respecting copyright issues of the music industry. AIM Tunes does not require a separate media player download.
* Status Message: This feature builds on the popular “away” message to let users broadcast a personal message to friends on their AIM® Buddy List® feature regardless of whether or not they are online. AIM users can now see at-a-glance what their friends are doing at any given time.
* TXT Message Mode: This feature enables AIM® users to easily toggle between sending a buddy an instant message to their PC and a text message to their cell phone. Now it’s easier than ever to use AIM to send friends messages to their cell phones.
* More Color Themes: This option offers AIM users ten new colors for their Buddy Lists and IM windows, including such colors as “Bling Bling” and “Smashed Pumpkin.”
* Buddy Notes: This feature gives AIM users the option to write private notes about each of their buddies, such as birthdays or phone numbers, from within the “Edit Buddy” section.
* User Education: This feature gives AIM users tips on AIM® features right in the IM form.
* Toolbar for AIM: This new browser toolbar offers AIM users one-click access to search, email, instant messaging, MapQuest®, horoscopes, celebrity news and more.
* QQ Games Plugin: This optional plugin allows AIM users to compete with their AIM® buddies in massively multiplayer online casual games including QQ Treasure Hunter, QQ Match Master, QQ Pool, QQ Robo and QQ Black Jack. This plugin was built by Tencent, a leading operator of online gaming and virtual communities.
* AIM Short Code: This new feature will deliver AIM functionality through text messaging on a user’s cell phone, including “send IM,” “change status message,” “view Buddy List,” “add/delete buddy” and more. Anyone with a cell phone will now have access to their AIM Buddy List. The ‘AIMAIM’ short code (246246) service will be available as early as this week, and is being rolled out in a phased approach across major wireless carriers.
Coming Soon: AIM Dashboard, AIM Profiles
Later this month, AIM users will be able to express themselves through AIM® Profiles, a new social networking feature. Here, they’ll be able to share their personalities and life details, as well as thoughts entered into their Buddy Info pages. Users will also be able to engage in a new photo sharing experience called AIM® Photos, which enables users to tag buddies and make comments on photos.
Also coming in October is a new personalized start page called AIM Dashboard (formerly AIM Today). Here users will be able to check out recent updates from their entire buddy networks at a glance, as well as update their profiles and status messages, even set up RSS feeds for popular services such as Flickr, YouTube and Digg accounts to broadcast to their buddy networks.
Availability: Users can download AIM 6.5 free of charge at http://www.aim.com.
System Requirements: AIM 6.5 requires Microsoft Windows XP, 2000 or Vista.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.