Canon U.S.A. Receives Fourth Consecutive WasteWise Award From U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
EPA Cites Company As Large Business Partner of the Year
LAKE SUCCESS, NEW YORK, October 24, 2005 — Canon U.S.A., Inc., a subsidiary of Canon Inc. (NYSE: CAJ), has been selected to receive the 2005 WasteWise Large Business Partner of the Year Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Canon is recognized for implementing a comprehensive waste reduction program, and it is the fourth consecutive year and fifth year since its inception that this program has presented Canon with an achievement award.
WasteWise is a free and voluntary partnership program launched by EPA in 1994. The program provides guidance and recognition to more than 1,300 participating organizations (corporate, government, nonprofit and education) working to find practical methods to reduce municipal solid waste and improve financial performance. Canon U.S.A. has participated since 1994.
Canon will receive the award in the spirit of the company’s philosophy of kyosei — all people, regardless of race, religion, or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future. Information about Canon’s worldwide commitment to the environment and a description of some of the company’s contributions to the communities in which it operates can be found in the Canon Sustainability Report 2005 at www.usa.canon.com/environment.
In presenting a WasteWise award to Canon U.S.A. for the fourth consecutive time and fifth time in the last six years (previous awards were received during 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004), the EPA credited Canon with several key accomplishments in reducing waste, including:
* Canon’s worldwide toner cartridge collection and recycling program for printers and copiers that was established in 1990. The creation of a global recycling network under which the amount of returned cartridges grows each year while attaining 100 percent recovery and zero landfill waste by reusing parts, recycling materials and utilizing energy recovery. Canon promotes recycling among customers and has recovered more than 127,000 tons of cartridges.
* Canon refurbished, remanufactured, resold, or used internally more than 230,000 various products for during 2004.
* Canon proactively encourages employees to use email and duplex copying to reduce office paper waste, and has developed a system to collect discarded paper, computer media and other waste that can be recycled.
* Canon extended its waste reduction reach to employee cafeterias, instituting an incentive program that offers employees discounts on beverages if they use their personal mugs rather than disposable cups. Canon also promotes many additional internal conservation activities.
The award to Canon U.S.A. will be presented during the WasteWise Annual Conference, October 24 and 25, Doubletree Hotel Crystal City in Arlington, Virginia. For more information about the program, visit www.epa.gov/wastewise or call 1-800-EPA-WISE (372-9473).
Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. The Company is listed as one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies in America, and is ranked #35 on the BusinessWeek list of “Top 100 Brands.” Its parent company Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ) is a top patent-holder of technology, ranking third overall in the U.S. in 2004, with global revenues of $33.3 billion. For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.
All referenced product names are trademarks of their respective owners.
- Contact Information
- Public Relations Department
- Corporate Communications Division
- Canon U.S.A., Inc.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.