MTV Networks International and Apple(R) Announce First Deal to Distribute MTVN Shows on Apple iTunes Outside the United States
Full Episodes of UK and US Produced Favourites To Be Available on UK iTunes Store, Including Pimp My Ride, Dora the Explorer and South Park
LONDON.- MTV Networks International (MTVNI), owned by Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Apple(R) today announced an agreement to distribute full-length hit TV shows from MTV, Nickelodeon, and Paramount Comedy channels for purchase and download from the iTunes(R) Store in the UK.
The UK agreement is the first between the two companies outside the USA. It builds on the strength of their existing US partnership and is expected to be the first step in a broad international partnership.
“We’re very excited to be partnering with iTunes,” said David Lynn, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, MTV Networks UK and Ireland. “Brands like MTV, Nickelodeon and Paramount Comedy create some of the most popular music and entertainment shows on television today -- from Pimp My Ride and SpongeBob SquarePants to South Park. Making our content available on the iTunes UK store gives our audiences the ability to watch our hit programming whenever they want and wherever they are.”
The iTunes offering available from today features 14 top-rated shows across MTV Networks’ brands, including full seasons of its ever-popular hits. From MTV, programming includes My Super Sweet Sixteen and TV’s first-ever reality drama Laguna Beach. From Nickelodeon, shows include the first pre- school programme on iTunes, Dora the Explorer, as well as Avatar: The Legend of Aang, Drake & Josh and TV’s top-rated kids’ show SpongeBob SquarePants.
The diverse offering also includes the Emmy(R) award-winning series South Park and locally-produced UK shows such as MTV’s Barrio 19, Nickelodeon’s Genie in the House, and Paramount Comedy’s The World Stands Up.
UK customers can now purchase the shows for 1.89 pounds Sterling per episode from the iTunes UK Store for viewing on either computer or iPod. MTVN’s programming has been a hit with customers in the US since 2006 when it launched on the iTunes Store.
Mika Salmi, President of MTVN Global Digital Media, said that the international roll-out of content on iTunes was a key part of the company’s plans to see its programming available across all digital platforms.
“This is an important step forward. We already have programming and content on 35 mobile TV stations, 284 online properties and 141 TV channels,” said Salmi. “iTunes is a natural progression for us in the global roll-out of content on digital platforms from all our brands, increasing customer choice and boosting international and digital revenues.”
The new programming includes full seasons of the following ever-popular hits:
* Laguna Beach, Season Three (15 episodes) - The first-ever reality drama exploring the lives of beautiful teenagers who lead glamorous lives.
* Pimp My Ride, Season Four (16 episodes) - Rap superstar and car enthusiast Xzibit, Mad Mike and the GAS crew create unheard of, pimped out automotive masterpieces.
* My Super Sweet Sixteen, Season Three (11 episodes) - Documents the over-the-top birthday parties and coming-of-age celebrations of teens as they prepare for one of the biggest nights of their lives.
* Barrio 19, Season One (6 episodes) - Showcases the best up-and-coming urban talent the world has to offer.
* SpongeBob SquarePants, Season Three (20 episodes) - Pop culture phenomenon and TV’s top-rated kids’ show starring everyone’s favourite sponge.
* Dora the Explorer, Season Two (21 episodes) - The number one hit show for kids aged 2-5 years and the first pre-school program on iTunes.
* Genie in the House, Season One (26 episodes) - UK-produced comedy series about two teenage girls who find themselves a genie and, against their father’s strict orders, try to make use of his powers.
* Avatar: The Legend of Aang, Season One (20 episodes) - Follows the journey of Aang, a 12-year-old boy torn between fulfilling his fate as the long-awaited Avatar and just wanting to be a regular kid.
* Drake & Josh, Season One (6 episodes) - Centres on an odd couple of teen stepbrothers who share shenanigans that somehow cement a brotherly bond.
* South Park, Seasons Nine and Ten (28 episodes) - The Emmy(R) Award- winning series remains Comedy Central’s highest-rated series.
* The World Stands Up, Season Two (20 episodes) - Features some of the finest comedians from all over the world.
* That ’70s Show, Season One (25 episodes), Season Three (20 episodes) - A hip situation comedy series from Carsey Werner focusing on an eclectic group of friends who are typical teens on the verge of young adulthood -- only it’s the ’70s.
* Comedy Blue, Season One (10 episodes) - A stand-up show that showcases some of the world’s best comedians uncensored.
* Jongleurs Unleashed, Season One (15 episodes) - Made exclusively for Paramount Comedy, the series gives an all-access pass at the Jongleur, the UK’s most popular venues for live comedy.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.