Cable Operators Can Deliver and Extend the Connected Life via Complete Cisco Cable ServiceMesh Solution
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Cisco® today announced it is launching the Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution, the industry’s first integrated, end-to-end wireless architecture designed for cable operators who want to extend indoor Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) to outdoor mesh networks in municipalities, tourism centers, small businesses and universities in North America. This new architecture offers the foundation layer for broadband mobility.
Building on the Cisco Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) architecture, the Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution is a fully integrated outdoor wireless platform that helps enable operators to quickly deploy a variety of value-added, revenue-generating services via a single network infrastructure. By using the Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution, cable operators can create new revenue opportunities through the deployment of an outdoor wireless mesh solution that utilizes existing infrastructure to cost-effectively expand their service offerings and their market reach, bringing the Connected Life to customers at home, at work or on the move.
The new Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution is a comprehensive wireless broadband system comprising:
* Cisco Aironet® 1520 Series Lightweight Outdoor Mesh Access Points, a new set of wireless access points with integrated Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) 2.0 cable interfaces used to create metropolitan-scale, outdoor wireless networks, providing access to any Wi-Fi compliant device;
* Cisco Wireless Services Modules, which provide the control, scalability and reliability needed to build highly secure, carrier-grade indoor and outdoor 802.11 wireless networks;
* Cisco Wireless Control System software, an industry-leading platform for wireless local area network (LAN) planning, configuration, management, troubleshooting, and mobility services for the Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution;
* Cisco Intelligent Services Gateway, which delivers advanced subscriber awareness, resource provisioning and access control capabilities. The Cisco Intelligent Services gateway also simplifies the creation and speeds the delivery of advanced IP services over Cisco IP NGNs. The Cisco Intelligent Services Gateway has been designed to support both IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) and non-IMS based applications;
* Cisco Service Control Engine, a solution that controls packets on a Layer-7 application level while utilizing the existing IP wireless network infrastructure to provide a variety of services; and
* Cisco 7600 Series Router, the industry’s leading edge router that delivers robust, high-performance IP/MultiProtocol Label Switching (MPLS) features for a range of service provider edge applications.
This combination makes possible multiple applications, including extending data, voice and video streaming outside the home, police, fire and emergency services, as well as those for city operations, such as remote access to city applications, automated meter reading, and permit verification and compliance.
The Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution is a proven solution for delivering pervasive wireless access and network services required for outdoor Wi-Fi networks. The network convergence layer of the Cisco IP NGN architecture helps enable the convergence of disparate, service-specific networks to a single, more efficient and flexible IP-based infrastructure. With the Cisco IP NGN, service providers can deliver services more efficiently and effectively and provide the means to support tomorrow’s bandwidth-intensive municipal, residential and business services.
Cisco Cable ServiceMesh Solution Offers Benefits to Multiple System Operators
The Cisco Cable ServiceMesh design allows operators to rapidly deploy and monetize value-added services in new markets. In turn, cities, convention centers and small businesses can improve productivity and economic growth, while streamlining their operations with the wide variety of applications enabled by new Wi-Fi networks.
Key benefits to service providers include:
* Reduce customer churn by offering mobility extensions to existing service offerings;
* Generate new revenue by offering indoor/outdoor wireless services to municipalities, universities and businesses;
* Cost efficiently deploy ubiquitous Wi-Fi by using existing cable infrastructure;
* Efficiently manage the new operations with an integrated end-to-end architecture that includes management for all application, services, devices, and users; and
* Position the company for future rollouts of broadband mobility services.
“Service providers can extend their existing network with an outdoor mesh and offer a multitude of services, not just to cities, but to educational and health care institutions, public utilities, convention centers and even to consumers,” said Jeff Spagnola, vice president, service provider marketing at Cisco. “A well-planned outdoor wireless mesh network can address all customer groups and allow them to interact securely on the same network. The Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution offers all that and more.”
Cisco Unveils New Aironet 1520 Series Lightweight Outdoor Mesh Access Point
A new component of the Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution is the Cisco Aironet 1520 Series, an outdoor wireless mesh platform that integrates Wi-Fi client access and wireless backhaul in a rugged, outdoor enclosure and features an embedded DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem to connect to existing cable plant.
Scheduled to be available in July 2007 in North America, the Cisco Aironet 1520 Series is designed to support dual-band radios compliant with IEEE 802.11a and 802.11b/g standards. The integrated DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem also provides the ability to power by cable plant helps enable cable operators to easily deploy mesh networks without requiring pole access rights which can be costly and time consuming. The ability to strand mount the Cisco Aironet 1520 Series on existing cable strand provides the ultimate flexibility for cable operators to easily expand their cable services to reach new customers.
Multiple power and mounting options provide flexibility in outdoor installations for the mesh access point. Wireless mesh radio performance is improved with the 802.11g 3-channel Maximal Ratio Combining (MRC) technology for better access coverage. The Cisco Aironet 1520 Series uses an intelligent wireless routing algorithm to create a mesh network with other Cisco Aironet 1520 Series mesh access points providing network reliability and availability to meet the challenging requirements of outdoor deployments.
The Cisco ServiceMesh solution recently won the International Engineering Consortium InfoVision Award that recognizes the leading broadband products in deployment. For more information on Cisco Cable ServiceMesh solution and Cisco Aironet 1520 Series, visit Cisco booth 865 at SCTE Cable-Tec EXPO (June 20-22) at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., or click the following URL:
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.