Bell Mobility and RIM Announce Breakthrough Smartphone for Canadians with the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition
First CDMA BlackBerry Smartphone to Support International Roaming on GSM/GPRS Networks
Toronto, ON and Waterloo, ON - Bell Mobility and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the sleek, elegant and performance driven BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone. It is the first CDMA BlackBerry smartphone to deliver the high-speed mobile connectivity of CDMA in Canada and North America, combined with international voice and data roaming on GSM/GPRS networks outside of North America.*
With availability from Bell Mobility expected in summer 2007, this full QWERTY handset features a new sleek and thin design, yet delivers the full BlackBerry smartphone experience that people have come to love - including exceptional wireless e-mail capabilities, premium phone features, fast web browsing and support for other mobile data applications - even when roaming on international networks. Designed for the most demanding mobile professionals and balanced with both business and personal features, the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition is a powerful and stylish handset that supports seamless international roaming.
“The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition will offer Bell Mobility clients the best of both worlds – the superior coverage and data capabilities of North America’s CDMA network standard and the global reach of GSM technology,” said Wade Oosterman, President of Bell Mobility. "Those world-ranging capabilities are wrapped up in a sleek package that’s just 14 mm thick, but offers the most powerful combination of productivity tools, multimedia capabilities and enhanced user features available in a smartphone.”
“The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone is another breakthrough achievement that integrates cutting-edge communications technology in a thin and stylish form,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. “It delivers the unmatched user experience and productivity benefits that people have come to expect from a BlackBerry solution and introduces new and innovative features as well. We are pleased to launch the BlackBerry 8830 with Bell Mobility to meet the evolving needs of customers.”
The BlackBerry 8330 World Edition smartphone from Bell Mobility features:
• Dual-band (800/1900 Mhz) CDMA 2000 1x EV-DO for high speed data access, web browsing and tethered modem support; and dual-band (900/1800 MHz) GSM/GPRS for continuous voice and data service while traveling internationally*
• Stylish and thin design (114mm x 66mm x 14mm) in an exquisite black finish with chrome side accents
• RIM’s intuitive user interface with an easy-to-use trackball, dedicated ’menu’ and ’escape’ keys, and context-sensitive menus that make navigation fast and easy
• An ultra-bright, high resolution (320 x 240) display with innovative light-sensing technology that automatically optimizes the screen, trackball and keyboard lighting for indoor, outdoor and dark environments
• Premium phone features with noise cancellation for enhanced audio performance, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated ’send’, ’end’, and ’mute’ keys, low-distortion speakerphone, smart dialing, conference calling, speed dialing, call forwarding and Bluetooth® support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals
• Support for polyphonic, MP3 and MIDI ring tones
• Built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) with support for a wide variety of location based applications and services; includes BlackBerry® Maps to provide users with turn-by-turn driving directions and the ability to track the route via the GPS
• Multimedia player with stereo headset jack and volume control buttons; plays MP3 and AAC music files, as well as MPEG4 and H.263 video formats
• A microSD expandable memory slot for music and video storage
• BlackBerry® Internet Service support - allows access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
• BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support - integrates with Microsoft® Exchange, IBM Lotus® Domino® and Novell GroupWise® environments and features a new set of IT policy controls for managing the BlackBerry 8830 smartphone’s features and usage.
* Not available in all countries. Check with Bell Mobility for availability of roaming services. Auto-selection of CDMA/GSM mode is supported.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.