TDK to launch sales of 800gb/1.6tb Lto Ultrium 4 data cartridges
– High-Reliability Media Meets Demand for Ultra-Capacity Data Storage –
GARDEN CITY, NY, – TDK Corporation today announced that it will launch sales of two LTO Ultrium 4 data cartridges: the rewritable D2407-LTO4 and the recordable D2407W-LTO4, both of which provide large 800GB capacity (1.6TB with 2:1 compression). The products will be available in May 2007.
As digital networks grow in scope and complexity, the volume of data that must be managed continues to increase considerably, creating demand for storage solutions with higher capacities and faster data transfer rates than previous systems. LTO Ultrium 4, with its large 800GB capacity (1.6TB with 2:1 compression) and rapid 120MB/s data transfer rate (240MB/s with 2:1 compression), is the newest backup system for today’s high-speed, large-capacity servers.
To achieve its remarkable capacity, the LTO Ultrium 4 data cartridge utilizes tape with 12.65mm width and 896 recording tracks (compared to 384 tracks for LTO Ultrium 1, 512 tracks for Ultrium 2 and 704 tracks for Ultrium 3). The tape thickness has been reduced to facilitate incorporating more tape into the cartridge. As a result, considerably greater precision, performance and durability are required.
TDK’s LTO Ultrium 4 D2407-LTO4 and D2407W-LTO4 data cartridges feature the most advanced magnetic material and tape technology, leveraging the company’s longstanding expertise in the development of LTO Ultrium media and other recording media products.
Several key technologies enable TDK LTO Ultrium 4 tapes to achieve ultra-stable read and write signals. These include specially designed, ultra-fine Super Finavinx metal particles with high output power, an ultra-thin, dual-layer tape coating technology that controls the thickness of the magnetic layer to the nanometer order, and a special servo writer that’s used to record high-precision servo signals. To achieve maximum performance and seamless interplay with the drive, the advanced cartridge mechanism includes a high-precision leader pin, new multi-strut construction for the reel hub to realize high circular precision, and other advancements.
The aforementioned features and technologies enable the D2407-LTO4 and D2407W-LTO4 LTO Ultrium 4 data cartridges to meet today’s most demanding data storage requirements.
Main features of the TDK LTO Ultrium 4 data cartridge
1. Finest-ever Super Finavinx metal magnetic material realize higher output power
2. Special base film with strong, ultra-smooth surface and outstanding dimensional stability
3. High-precision ultra-thin, dual-layer tape coating technology realizes stable output
4. Electron-beam Curing EB binder and thermo-setting TDC binder realize high durability
5. Original servo signal writing technology enables read/write accuracy
6. High-precision cartridge mechanism enables seamless drive/media interaction, for added reliability
7. Write-once (WORM type) recordable LTO Ultrium 4 media will be launched at the same time as rewritable media
LTO Ultrium 4 data cartridge
D2407-LTO4 (memory capacity: 800GB capacity without compression, 1.6TB with 2:1 compression.)
D2407W-LTO4* (memory capacity: 800GB capacity without compression, 1.6TB with 2:1 compression.)
* WORM (Write Once Read Many) type
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.