Microsoft Completes Acquisition of Enterprise Security Provider Sybari Software
Sybari products to help protect Microsoft Windows customers against malicious software.
REDMOND, WA — June 21, 2005 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the completion of its acquisition of Sybari Software Inc. Originally announced Feb. 8, the acquisition of Sybari adds a critical security component to Microsoft’s efforts to help enterprise customers become more secure. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft, Sybari will continue to offer enterprise protection products for the Microsoft® Windows® platform.
“Customers have told us they want powerful security solutions for the enterprise to help protect their messaging and collaboration servers from viruses, worms and spam,” said Mike Nash, corporate vice president of the Security Business & Technology Unit at Microsoft. “Sybari’s award-winning and innovative products coupled with its strong industry partnerships and deep integration with such products as Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 will deliver immediate value to Microsoft customers.”
Sybari solutions provide value to enterprises in these ways:
• Increased availability. Sybari products provide protection for messaging and collaboration servers, helping stop malicious software and spam before they affect business.
• Increased productivity. Sybari products help protect businesses from malicious software and spam before they reach end users and cause productivity to drop.
• Preservation of network bandwidth and server disk space. Sybari products help prevent spam from wasting valuable IT resources such as network bandwidth and server disk space.
• Regulatory compliance. Through administrator-defined content-filtering rules, Sybari products help enforce compliance with regulations.
Microsoft and Sybari will work to capitalize on key areas in which the joining of the two companies can offer increased value and future innovation to customers, technology partners, channel partners and sales personnel.
“We have always felt that Sybari is a leader in the protection business, and we have been a customer for almost four years. We think that the recent acquisition of Sybari by Microsoft is extremely positive,” said Ken Burton, CTO at Northwest Hospital in Seattle. “By utilizing Sybari’s solutions, Microsoft can stand strong behind its message of trustworthy computing. We look forward to continuing our relationship with Sybari.”
Sybari Products and Support
Microsoft will offer and support Sybari products in the following ways:
• Microsoft will offer Sybari products for the Microsoft Windows platform, including Antigen for Microsoft Exchange, Antigen for Microsoft SharePoint® Portal Server and Windows SharePoint Services, Antigen for Instant Messaging, Antigen for SMTP Gateways, Sybari Enterprise Manager, Advanced Spam Manager, Advanced Spam Defense and Antigen for Domino on Windows NT®.
• Microsoft will continue to offer high-quality customer support for the complete range of Sybari products offered before the acquisition.
• Microsoft will discontinue new sales of Antigen products for the UNIX and Linux platforms.
The existing Sybari sales channel and licensing models will remain intact for the immediate future, and Microsoft’s Sybari operations will continue to have their headquarters in East Northport, New York.
Similarly, because Sybari solutions provide significant value to customers, Microsoft currently plans to continue to offer these solutions under existing licensing models and practices.
More information about Microsoft and its efforts to address messaging security is available at http://www.microsoft.com/messagingsecurity.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
Microsoft, Windows, SharePoint and Windows NT are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
- Contact Information
- Waggener Edstrom
- Rapid Response Team
- Microsoft Corp.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.