Fairchild Semiconductor Commemorates Both 50 and 10 Year Milestones
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine - Fairchild Semiconductor, the leading global supplier of high performance products that optimize system power, celebrates its long and rich history in the semiconductor industry during 2007. This is a monumental year with the company celebrating a 50 year milestone since it was first established in 1957. The goal of the original company: the development and production of silicon diffused transistors and other semiconductor devices. In 1958, Fairchild developed the planar transistor and with it a new industry.
2007 also marks the 10 year anniversary of the new Fairchild. From its beginnings in 1997 as the industry’s first multi-market semiconductor company, producing logic, memory, and discrete technology, to The Power Franchise®, Fairchild today is the #1 global supplier of analog, power discrete, optoelectronic, and signal path components that optimize system power.
“Energy efficiency is a driving force not only in the electronics industry, but also to every person around the world. With the shrinking supply of fuel, the growing requirement of electronic devices, and the increasing number of energy efficiency regulations worldwide, semiconductor companies must take the initiative to deliver products that maximize power efficiency at every opportunity,” said Mark Thompson, Fairchild’s president and CEO.
Over the past ten years, Fairchild has developed a full range of products to address the power efficiency needs for key market segments including consumer, ultra-portable (cell phones and handheld appliances), communications, computing, industrial, and automotive. These products include:
- SPM® devices that provide a complete, integrated power management solution. These smart power modules combine as many as a dozen separate chips in a single package.
- The newest generation of FPS™. Meeting low standby power regulations, these devices simplify designs, reduce EMI emissions, and lower costs. Fairchild power switch devices reduce switching losses to below one Watt, that meets governmental and agency regulations.
- IntelliMAX™ advanced load switches offer power management and protection functions in industry-leading packaging, combining the best of low-voltage power semiconductors and analog control circuitry.
- PFC (Power Factor Correction) devices maximize power efficiency. These controllers lower power line loading and improve power factor of switch mode power supplies (SMPS), meeting the 80 plus program requirement (80 percent or greater power efficiency and true power factor of 0.9 or greater).
- SuperFET™ devices. This new generation of high voltage MOSFETs address the demanding high-voltage, fast-switching applications that require high efficiency. Typical applications include Power Factor Correction (PFC), lighting, and AC/DC power supply systems.
- The industry’s broadest range of integrated motor drive solutions (50VA to 10kVA).
- Power Amplifier modules, with i-LO™ technology. These devices reduce quiescent current as much as 70 percent from traditional current saving methods for wireless communications systems such as Wi-Fi™, CDMA, and WCDMA cellular handsets.
- A wide portfolio of IGBTs and power MOSFETs for the automotive, industrial, and consumer markets.
“The entrepreneurial spirit of the early Fairchild is alive and well today and is evidenced by the development of high value power management solutions,” continued Thompson. “Our leadership in energy efficient solutions makes Fairchild as important and relevant for the next 50 years as it has been for the last 50.”
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.