Harris Corporation Team Exceeds 10,000th Service Milestone for FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) Network
Progress supports FAA cutover plan and lays foundation for air transportation modernization
MELBOURNE, Fla., January 9, 2007 — A team led by Harris Corporation (NYSE:HRS), an international communications and information technology company, has successfully obtained acceptance of more than 10,000 communications services at more than 2,100 facilities as part of the FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) network. Harris, the prime contractor and system architect for the program, began the buildout of the nationwide network in November 2004. The FTI program is providing the FAA with a safer, more efficient network that is expected to significantly reduce operating costs over the life of the program. “We are very pleased to achieve this major milestone in the FTI program,” said John O’Sullivan, FTI program vice president for the Harris Government Communications Systems Division. “The FTI network is now online, and at the current rate of more than 700 services being brought online per month, we are confident that we will achieve the program goals for FTI service acceptance activities. This schedule supports the FAA’s full cutover to FTI and positions the agency for the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NGATS).”
During the 15-year FTI program, Harris is upgrading and improving telecommunications and operations functions at more than 4,000 FAA facilities nationwide. Key network components that are now online and operational:
* More than 85 percent of the FAA’s 400 major control sites are online, providing the critical communications services required for weather information and flight services throughout the National Airspace System (NAS)
* The FTI satellite network (FTI-SAT) was completed on schedule and is online, providing the FAA with a “best value” solution as part of an initiative to reduce the need for more costly earth/satellite stations and deploy a more cost-effective mix of satellite, microwave and landline services
* The FTI Mission Support network was completed ahead of schedule in June 2006 and is online, transporting administrative functions such as payroll and e-mail to most of the FAA’s 50,000 employees at more than 800 sites across the U.S.
* The Harris Network Operations Control Center is online, monitoring 75,000 pieces of communications equipment and managing a field maintenance workforce of 500-plus people nationwide, 24/7
* The FAA Bulk Weather Telecommunications Gateway is online and providing FAA Air Traffic Control centers nationwide with a continuously updated, common picture of weather throughout the NAS
* More than 90 percent of the FAA’s IP traffic is online and running on the FTI operational IP backbone. This supports the agency’s future requirements for IP connectivity necessary for the establishment of NGATS.
Harris is leading a team of top telecommunications companies consisting of AT&T, BellSouth Corporation, Qwest Communications International, Sprint, Verizon Communications, and Raytheon Technical Services. The team is supporting the FAA in replacing the Leased Interfacility NAS Communications System (LINCS), the Data Multiplexing Network, the Bandwidth Manager, and the National Aviation Data Interchange Network with an integrated telecommunications infrastructure. Requirements include replacing more than 20,000 circuits, upgrading switching and routing services, improving network monitoring and control, implementing a state-of-the-art security system, and providing network engineering services.
About Harris Corporation
Harris Government Communications Systems Division conducts advanced research studies, develops prototypes, and produces and supports state-of-the-art, assured communications™ solutions and information systems that solve the mission-critical challenges of its military and government customers, while serving as the technology base for the company’s diverse commercial businesses. Harris Corporation is an international communications and information technology company serving government and commercial markets in more than 150 countries. With headquarters in Melbourne, Florida, the company has annual sales of $3.5 billion and nearly 14,000 employees, including more than 6,000 engineers and scientists. The company’s four operating divisions serve markets for government communications, RF communications, broadcast communications, and microwave communications. For more information, visit www.harris.com.
- Contact Information
- Brent Dietz
- Harris Media Relations
- Harris Corporation
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.