3 Group and Yahoo! extend strategic alliance to bring Yahoo! Go for Mobile 2.0 and Yahoo! oneSearch™ to consumers
08 January 2007 - 3 Group, the global leader in 3G mobile broadband and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO), a leading global Internet company, have extended their partnership to include new mobile Internet services.
The two companies will provide Yahoo! Go for Mobile 2.0 - launched today at CES in Las Vegas - to 3 Group customers in the UK, Italy, Ireland, Sweden, and Denmark, with other 3 Group markets expected to follow in the coming months. In addition, the companies are extending their partnership to provide Yahoo! Search on the 3 portal to 3 customers in Ireland.
The expansion of Yahoo! services on 3 builds on the relationship the companies announced in June 2006 and demonstrates Yahoo!’s continued focus on extending the company’s mobile Internet leadership. Yahoo! Go 2.0 is an innovative new application that redefines the mobile Internet experience for consumers through a uniquely efficient product design, ability to personalize with content from the entire Internet, not just Yahoo!, and a reinvention of search for the mobile phone.
Yahoo! oneSearch leverages the company’s deep experience and expertise in search on the desktop as well as relationships with leading content providers to deliver an unmatched mobile search experience for consumers.
Christian Salbaing, managing director, European telecommunications at 3 Group, said:
“When we announced the X-Series from 3 last year, we said it marked the beginning of the internet via mobile broadband and would herald a new way of doing business for mobile network operators. This extension of our partnership with Yahoo! reinforces that, the X-Series from 3 gives customers access to more of what they want, when they want it, and however much of it they want, all free when they use it. With Yahoo! our customers have access to the best of the Internet and messaging services.”
Geraldine Wilson, vice president of connected life, Yahoo! Europe, said:
“The extension of our partnership with the 3 Group, one of the leaders in mobile broadband Internet, is further evidence of Yahoo!’s commitment to be number one in mobile. We are uniquely positioned in this market. We have the largest audience on the Internet, a wide range of leading services and partnerships with more than 80 mobile operators and device manufacturers in more than 40 countries. We believe 2007 is set to be an exciting year for Yahoo! and we’re starting the year with a host of new services and partnerships.”
Key services that will be available to consumers on 3 include:
Yahoo! Go 2.0 –
* Yahoo! Go 2.0 is an innovative new application that redefines the mobile Internet experience for consumers through a unique product design, ability to personalize with content from the entire Internet and a reinvention of mobile search
* The unique carousel design makes it simple for consumers to navigate the selection of Yahoo! Go widgets for e-mail, local information and maps, news, sports, finance, entertainment, weather, photo sharing and search
Yahoo! oneSearch –
* A completely new mobile search service designed to give consumers what they want when they are on their mobile phone - instant answers
* It recognizes the intent of a search term and presents relevant content – not just a list of web links to PC sites - on the results page
* Results are grouped by subject making it easy to read through and drill down to get more details
Yahoo! Mail –
* Easily access and manage e-mail messages through the messaging inbox on the phone, including ability to reply, delete and compose new messages
* Store e-mail messages locally on the device to allow for offline access
Yahoo! Messenger –
* Send and receive messages and use emoticons to communicate with their friends list, just like on the PC
* Set presence information to show availability to chat with friends and family, and view presence information to know when they are online too
The two companies are also continuing to work towards launching Yahoo! services in key 3 Group markets in Asia including Australia and Hong Kong, the latter with Hutchison Telecommunications International. The companies will jointly market the services on the Yahoo! and 3 Group networks.
About 3 Group
A division of Hutchison Whampoa, the 3 Group together with Hutchison Telecommunications International, is the leading global player in the 3G arena, holding licences in 10 markets with total population coverage of approximately 175 million.
In less than three years, the 3 Group has built an entirely new network, achieving probably the fastest rollout of a radio network in the entire telecom industry. Marketed globally under the 3 brand, the group is also the first operator in the world to provide dual-mode 3G services.
To date, commercial 3G services has been launched in Italy, the UK, Australia, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Hong Kong, Israel and the Republic of Ireland.
For more information about 3, please visit www.three.com
Yahoo! Inc. is a leading global Internet brand and one of the most trafficked Internet destinations worldwide. Yahoo!’s mission is to connect people to their passions, their communities, and the world’s knowledge. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California.
- Contact Information
- 3 Media Office
- Media Contact
- 3 Group
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.