NDS Announces New Mobile Offerings, PC-TV Solutions, Home Networking Capabilities And Gaming Technologies At CES
Securing and Enabling Content Anywhere, Anytime, on Any Device
LAS VEGAS (CES) – January 3, 2007 – (The Venetian Hotel, Lido Suite #3003 and Sands Booth #69728) – NDS, the leading provider of technology solutions for digital pay-TV, announced today a number of new solutions to protect broadcast content over a variety of networks and devices. With announcements that include secure video delivery across WiFi hotspots, applications that turn PCs into TVs, and a new generation of interactive gaming for the set-top box platform, NDS is introducing technologies at CES that re-define television delivery for both consumers and broadcasters.
Highlights of the announcements include:
- A partnership with MobiTV to demonstrate the first-ever secure delivery of Mobile WiMAX TV to Ultra Mobile PCs. The integration of NDS VideoGuard® with the MobiTV® service enables Mobile WiMAX operators to offer premium mobile television over a two-way IEEE 802.16e network while maintaining content rights and protecting service revenues.
- An agreement with KT, the leading telecommunications company in Korea, to deploy a full end-to-end system including NDS VideoGuard Mobile™ and NDS VideoGuard PMP™ on the company’s new ‘toest’ mobile content platform. The NDS content protection solution will enable the secure download of a wide variety of video content over WiFi hotspots, providing both content owners and consumers with a new, secure way to download video to their mobile CE devices.
- NDS and Cyberlink are joining forces to securely deliver TV entertainment to PCs. By integrating NDS’s VideoGuard PC™ with the Cyberlink PowerCinema TV entertainment software, the companies are making the PC a key device in the pay-TV experience. PowerCinema supports a full set of TV services including live broadcast channels, digital video recording (DVR) functions, operator-branded Electronic Program Guides (EPGs), secure content downloads, on-demand services, and Video-on Demand (VOD).
- An agreement with VBox to use their Cat’s Eye PC-TV receiver to view, store and replay premium digital HDTV broadcast content on PCs. Using NDS VideoGuard PC, based on the plug-and-play simplicity of the NDS VideoGuard Key™, consumers can seamlessly and securely enjoy content delivered to and stored on their PCs. The VBox PC-TV receivers provide digital set-top box functionality in a PC environment by simply connecting to a PC via a USB or PCI slot. They receive TV broadcast in the same manner as a digital set-top box,
requiring no changes in either broadcast infrastructure or in the consumers’ premises.
- An announcement with Electric Spin, to create the world’s first virtual 3D Video Game for a set-top box. Electric~Spin, the creators of the award-winning Golf Launchpad series of golf simulators, is working with NDS to create the Golf Launchpad/XTV Experience. The new set-top box edition of the award-winning golf game allows users to play along with their favorite golfers during televised tournaments. The new game combines Electric~Spin’s ultra realistic golf simulation technology with NDS’s XTV Ready™ interactive TV technology to create the ultimate virtual golf experience. While watching a PGA tour event on television, viewers can use the Golf Launchpad/XTV Experience to virtually play and compete, with their own clubs, on the same course, at the same time – and all from the comfort of their own home.
- NDS has teamed up with Rebellion, the award-winning game design studio, to build the platform for next generation set-top box gaming. NDS’s Xtreamplay™ technology is being used to create an HD gaming experience on set-top boxes. This collaboration means that rich, advanced games can now be built for set-top boxes without the need for expensive chipsets. Rebellion’s three dimensional game, Rogue Trooper, will use Xtreamplay to enable the set-top box to use frame-accurate video as part of the gaming experience. Xtreamplay uses the video playback capability of the processors in conjunction with information about what is happening in each frame to provide a truly immersive gaming experience.
NDS Group plc (NASDAQ: NNDS), a majority owned subsidiary of News Corporation, supplies open end-to-end digital technology and services to digital pay-television platform operators and content providers. See www.nds.com for more information about NDS.
# # #
Cautionary Statement Concerning Forward-looking Statements This document contains certain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on management’s views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made. Actual results may differ materially from these expectations due to changes in global economic, business, competitive market and regulatory factors. More detailed information about these and other factors that could affect future results is contained in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The “forward-looking statements” included in this document are made only as of the date of this document and we do not have any obligation to publicly update any “forward-looking statements” to reflect subsequent events or circumstance, except as required by law.
Breakaway Communications for NDS
(US) T: + 1 212 616 6006
M: + 1 917 731 5734 (at CES)
- Contact Information
- Cynthia Ritchie
- Director, Public Relations
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.