Cadbury Schweppes Enters UK Chewing Gum Market
30 Oct 06 - Cadbury Schweppes, the world’s and UK’s largest confectioner, today announces it is to enter the UK chewing gum market in the first half of 2007 with the launch of Trident, the world’s fastest growing gum brand.
The launch underpins Cadbury’s confidence in the global success of Trident which grew by more than 20% last year and is the world’s second largest chewing gum brand. Cadbury Schweppes holds the second largest gum share in the world at 26% and has the number one position in 18 of the top 50 gum markets.
Cadbury Trebor Bassett managing director Simon Baldry commented: "We see massive potential in the UK for Trident. The UK is one of the top ten gum markets in the world but has seen little activity or innovation over the last few years. With our expertise and knowledge of the nation’s confectionery business, we are well positioned to introduce Trident here.’’
“While confectionery markets around the world are seeing strong performances from gum, this has not been repeated in the UK and we firmly believe our entry can only be good news for this category.”
Globally, chewing gum is the fastest-growing sector of the confectionery market, ahead of both chocolate and sweets. Across the world, the sector has grown by over 7% the last three years at constant currency - and is projected to be worth more than £10 billion in 2006.
The growth of gum worldwide is being fuelled by innovation which has broadened its product appeal and relevance to consumers, particularly adults. This includes the widening of the sugar-free range, gums which whiten or strengthen teeth and gums which help you concentrate or act as a snack-substitute between meals.
Cadbury Schweppes now holds the number one gum share in many European countries such as France, Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, Greece and Switzerland driven by innovations, under the Trident, Hollywood and STIMOROL brands.
In the Americas, Cadbury Schweppes is number one in Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina. Trident is the number one whitening gum in the USA, Canada and Mexico.
The launch of gum in the UK is part of Cadbury Schweppes’ strategy to significantly grow its share of the world’s confectionery market by taking advantage of its combination of brand strengths, product range and strong routes to market. Since 2003, when CEO Todd Stitzer first set this strategy, Cadbury Schweppes’ share of the world’s confectionery market, worth £75 billion, has grown from 9% to 9.9%, placing it in a clear leadership position.
notes to editors:
1. Further information on the launch will be disclosed closer to the time of the launch itself. If you wish to check any fact, please contact any of the above.
2. A teleconference for the media will take place at 7.20am today.
* Dial-in numbers: UK Toll, 0207 365 1836, Alternative Number, 0800 032 4094
* Replay: UK Toll, 0207 806 1970
* Replay Access Number: 4916131#
3. Trident was originally launched in the USA in 1964, rapidly becoming the number one sugarless gum there. Its name derives from ’tri’ (from three key ingredients) and ’dent’ (from dentists/teeth). In 1964, Trident became the first chewing gum into outer space when NASA chose it for its Gemini space missions. Today it still accompanies astronauts aboard the Space Shuttle.
4. Confectionery sector and chewing gum category data sourced from Euromonitor.
- Contact Information
- Andraea Dawson-Shepherd
- Media Enquiries
- Cadbury Schweppes
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.