STMicroelectronics to Introduce State-of-the-Art Solutions at CEATEC Japan 2006 Under Theme of "Solutions Through Innovation"
Wide Variety of Demonstrations on new solutions at CEATEC Japan 2006, STMicroelectronics Booth: Hall 8 No. 8C53 Makuhari Messe, Chiba, October 3 to 7, 2006,
Geneva, October 02,2006 - STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global leader in the worldwide semiconductor market, will present “Solutions Through Innovation,” on its booth at CEATEC Japan 2006 (Oct 03 to Oct. 07: Makuhari Messe in Chiba, Japan). Targeting the electronics market, where innovation in technology and diversification are growing rapidly, ST is introducing a wide array of flexible and pioneering solutions: from System-on-Chip (SoC) to multi-segment devices for consumer, mobile, computer and peripheral, automotive, and industrial applications.
Highlights of ST’s Innovation
* In the digital TV corner, the latest digital TV solutions will be shown, including: a demo of a digital TV solution with the data broadcast function for the Japanese market with an onboard Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (ARIB) standard-compliant BML (Broadcast Markup Language) browser; and a demo running Windows CE on a next-generation high-definition (HD) platform.
* The digital TV solution for the Japanese market features ST’s STi7710 high-capacity HDTV decoder, with an onboard “NetFront® DTV Profile” BML browser from ACCESS Co., Ltd., for digital data broadcasts. This solution dramatically reduces the massive resources required to develop and integrate a BML browser shortening development times and cost.
* In addition, the booth will host a demo of a next-generation HD platform solution capable of handling the full spectrum of digital consumer applications via ST’s STi7109, an H.264/AVC standard-compliant HDTV decoder with onboard Windows CE. This highly flexible and cost-effective platform speeds up the development cycle for systems manufacturers and enables more rapid market entry for products.
* In the DVD corner, ST will demo Blu-ray Disc (BD) playback and Java applications running on a single-chip decoder, the STi7100, which supports the MPEG2 HD and H.264/AVC standards. In addition, ST will demonstrate a solution based on the company’s next-generation single-chip decoder that supports all three standards--MPEG2 HD, Windows Media 9 VCI, and H.264/AVC--in addition to being compliant with both the BD and HD DVD standards. The new device employs 65nm process technology, and, as a single-chip next-generation DVD decoder/recorder, is a cost-effective solution to minimize system design and manufacturing costs.
* In the mobile corner, ST will demonstrate total solutions for a wide range of portable products. Among these are application specific ICs optimized for mobile devices, including the high-performance multimedia processor ‘Nomadik,’ large-capacity multi-chip package memory, and standard ICs.
* The complete functionality of Nomadik will be featured, including a demo of a one-Segment broadcast receiver (DVB-H) using the Nomadik application processor with its dedicated AV DSP and 32-bit ARM core.
* In addition, to meet the enhanced connectivity demands of mobile devices, ST will demonstrate a solution for realizing “Bluetooth-WLAN Co-existence (synchronous coexistence environment)” that achieves simultaneous-use capability in Bluetooth and wireless LAN for mutual data communications between mobile devices and between mobile devices and peripheral devices.
* In the PC peripheral corner, ST will demo a hard-disk solution for mobile applications capable of high-speed data transfer and ultra-low-power consumption using ST’s BCD (Bipolar-CMOS-DMOS) technology. In addition, ST will demonstrate its ability to transfer files between two boards using its configurable printer engine, SPEAr Head200.
* The booth will also include a demonstration using ST’s hard-disk-drive head pre-amp “Near Zero Power series,” L6440. The demo shows the device’s ultra-low power consumption (write mode: 170mW) and high data rate (max: 900Mbps/sec) through an oscilloscope and power consumption meter
* SPEAr Head200 is an SoC containing USB 2.0, Ethernet MAC core, and a customizable 200K-gate array that utilizes an ARM926 core with an onboard memory management unit and is optimized for PC peripheral-device controls. The SoC is ideally suited for printers, scanners, and office productivity devices. In comparison with a fully-custom SoC, this solution realizes dramatic development-cost reductions and a substantial shortening of development periods.
* In the automotive corner, ST will introduce car multimedia solutions such as GPS ICs, single-chip AM/FM tuners, and car signal processors. In addition, the booth will contain demos of a door mirror module; fan control; and dashboard controls using a CAN (Controller-Area Network) built-in 8-bit microcontroller ST72F561 and a CAN transceiver L9616. This CAN-based solution controls three meters for speedometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge, as well as an LCD (liquid crystal display) panel for an odometer and eight warning lights including turn signals, oil pressure, and other items.
* In the industrial corner, ST will offer solutions that meet all the industrial field’s requirements by making use of the company’s extensive product portfolio along with its experience and know-how gained in a broad range automotive applications with stringent requirements. ST will propose power-supply solutions, electronic ballast solutions for lighting, and a robot-control solution based on ST’s ARM-core 32-bit microcontroller and full-bridge driver. In addition, a demonstration for robot-arm control system will also be available at the ST booth.
* In the MEMS corner, ST’s “MEMS linear accelerometer,” which is capable of detecting acceleration in two- or three-axes, or roll acceleration in single-axis circuits, will be featured. A “MEMS Gyroscope,” which can detect angular velocity through detection of the Coriolis effect will also be shown. The MEMS corner will demonstrate a pedometer solution with MEMS linear accelerometer, and an ultra-compact low cost MEMS pressure sensor solution.
STMicroelectronics is a global leader in developing and delivering semiconductor solutions across the spectrum of microelectronics applications. An unrivalled combination of silicon and system expertise, manufacturing strength, Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio and strategic partners positions the Company at the forefront of System-on-Chip (SoC) technology and its products play a key role in enabling today’s convergence markets. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange, on Euronext Paris and on the Milan Stock Exchange. In 2005, the Company’s net revenues were $8.88 billion and net earnings were $266 million. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.
- Contact Information
- Michael Markowitz
- Americas Contact
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.