Recent Changes to the Special Enrollment Examination Make it More Convenient than Ever
Baltimore, MD, 09/28/2006 - The Internal Revenue Service has contracted with Thomson Prometric, the global leader in assessment services, and part of The Thomson Corporation (NYSE: TOC; TSX: TOC), to develop and administer the IRS Special Enrollment Examination (SEE). The SEE assesses whether a candidate is competent to represent a taxpayer before the Internal Revenue Service. Passing this examination is a prerequisite to becoming an Enrolled Agent, which allows tax professionals to represent taxpayers before the IRS.
In preparation for the first testing window beginning October 5, 2006, Thomson Prometric redesigned the exam with new content derived from extensive involvement by subject matter experts from the Enrolled Agent community. The exam was also reformatted from four sections to three, to more accurately reflect the current state of the art in taxpayer representation.
Significantly, additional changes make taking the SEE more convenient than ever:
• The examination will be offered throughout the year, providing candidates the opportunity to take the examination at a time that fits their schedules;
• The test will be offered at approximately 290 Prometric Testing Center sites throughout North America, in a highly secure, professional testing environment;
• Candidates are no longer required to take the entire exam in one sitting;
• Starting in May 2007, candidates will have their exam results in hand before leaving the test site;
• If necessary, candidates will be able to re-take each part of the examination several times each year; and
• There is no longer a deadline for registering. Candidates now apply on-line throughout the year, and pay with a credit card.
There are more than 42,000 Enrolled Agents currently practicing in the United States.
For additional information go to www.prometric.com/irs.
About The Thomson Corporation and Thomson Prometric
The Thomson Corporation (www.thomson.com), with 2005 revenues of approximately $8.40 billion, is a global leader in providing integrated information solutions to business and professional customers. Thomson provides value-added information, software tools and applications to more than 20 million users in the fields of law, tax, accounting, financial services, higher education, reference information, corporate e-learning and assessment, scientific research and healthcare. With operational headquarters in Stamford, Conn., Thomson has approximately 40,500 employees and provides services in approximately 130 countries. The Corporation’s common shares are listed on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges (NYSE: TOC; TSX: TOC). Thomson Prometric (www.prometric.com) is the recognized global leader in testing and assessment services, providing paper-and-pencil, Internet and computer-based testing solutions. It offers a fully integrated testing system that includes test development, test delivery and data management capabilities. On behalf of 600 current clients in the academic, professional, government, corporate and information technology markets, Thomson Prometric develops and/or delivers assessments through a global network of testing centers in 131 countries as well as direct to candidates via the Web.
- Contact Information
- Lindsay Brown
- Manager, Corporate Communications
- Thomson Learning
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.