SOFTIMAGE|CAT v.2.5 Now Available
Free upgrade for CAT v.2.0 users offers 3dsMax artists an enhanced animation workflow
Montreal, Québec – September 22, 2006 – Softimage Co., a subsidiary of Avid Technology, Inc., today announced the worldwide availability of SOFTIMAGE®|CAT™ version 2.5, the popular plug-in for Autodesk 3ds Max® software. The SOFTIMAGE|CAT software is a complete character animation system with a unique toolset allows artists to animate quickly in a flexible environment. Part of Avid’s recent asset acquisition of Character Animation Technologies, Ltd., SOFTIMAGE|CAT version 2.5 is the latest update to the newest member of the Softimage suite of character production tools, and is currently deployed in the game development, film and post industries.
“We are very excited to release the latest update to CAT shortly after becoming part of the Softimage family. We remain committed to supporting our customers and developing the technology they have counted on to produce high quality character animation in their Max-based pipelines,” said Philip R. Taylor, CAT product designer for Softimage. “With this release, our customers will also benefit from the knowledgeable support teams at Softimage, and have access to richer documentation resources on the new CAT Wiki.”
New features in SOFTIMAGE|CAT v.2.5 software include:
* New system for manipulating CATRigs. CAT now includes gizmos to manipulate CATRigs faster and easier. With one click a gizmo can be added to a CAT bone to give a rig a clear, streamlined set of controls.
* Copy and paste layers for key frame animation. Artists can now quickly copy and paste poses and animation for hubs limbs, hands, feet, and tails, further speeding up the key-framing of CAT characters.
* Unique procedural walk-cycle system. New walk modes in CATMotion include: ‘Walk on spot’, ‘Walk on Line’, and ‘Path node’. CATMotion also includes controls for gradient and direction, allowing artists to design a broader range of cycles, and additional tools for previewing a larger range of motion.
* Pose mixer for bone-based facial animation. The new pose mixer tool provides a fast, intuitive workflow that allows artists to animate their characters’ faces in the same way they would using morph targets. Poses can be loaded, mirrored and blended onto the facial bone hierarchy.
SOFTIMAGE|CAT V.2.5 also includes updates to CAT’s capture animation tool to provide a faster, more responsive workflow. New pipeline tools include a batch importer to import data into CAT, and a new easily customizable script-based batch exporter. A new Wiki for CAT documentation is also now available at http://cat.wiki.avid.com.
Pricing & Availability
* SOFTIMAGE|CAT v.2.5 is a free upgrade for customers who have purchased CAT v.2.0 and above. The upgrade to v.2.5 can be immediately downloaded at http://www.catoolkit.com/.
* Customers with a license of CAT v.1.0 can purchase an upgrade for $295 USMSRP from the CAT website at http://www.catoolkit.com/purchase/ or from authorized resellers.
* New customers can purchase SOFTIMAGE|CAT v.2.5 for $995 USMSRP from the CAT website at http://www.catoolkit.com/purchase/ or from authorized resellers.
About Softimage Co.
Softimage Co., a subsidiary of Avid Technology, Inc. provides intuitive, production proven tools that free 3D artists to create the world’s most compelling characters in the film, broadcast, post-production and games industries. Its flagship product, SOFTIMAGE|XSI® is the most complete and intuitive character animation solution available. Easily integrated into any CG production pipeline, XSI software enables 3D artists to create the most lifelike character performances. SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOTTM is the first commercial toolset that accelerates facial animation that empowers 3D artists to create, refine and repurpose high-quality, lifelike facial animation in less time than traditional solutions. For more information about Softimage, please visit www.softimage.com.
About Avid Technology, Inc.
Avid Technology, Inc. is the world leader in digital nonlinear media creation, management, and distribution solutions, enabling film, video, audio, animation, games, and broadcast professionals to work more efficiently, productively, and creatively. For more information about the company’s Oscar®, Grammy®, and Emmy® award-winning products and services, please visit: www.avid.com.
© 2006 Avid Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Product features, specifications, system requirements, and availability are subject to change without notice. All prices are USMSRP for the U.S. and Canada only and are subject to change without notice. Contact your local Avid office or reseller for prices outside the U.S. and Canada. Avid received an Oscar statuette representing the 1998 Scientific and Technical Award for the concept, design, and engineering of the Avid Film Composer® system for motion picture editing. Digidesign, Avid’s audio division, received an Oscar statuette representing the 2003 Scientific and Technical Award for the design, development, and implementation of its Pro Tools® digital audio workstation. Avid, Digidesign, Film Composer, ProTools, SOFTIMAGE, CAT, FACE ROBOT and XSI are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Avid Technology, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Oscar is a trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Emmy is a registered trademark of ATAS/NATAS. Grammy is a trademark of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, Inc. All other trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
- Contact Information
- Jennifer Goldfinch
- Senior PR Specialist
- Softimage Co.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.