UPS Leading Experienced Team in Bid for DTCI Contract
ATLANTA Sept. 21, 2006 - UPS (NYSE:UPS) has assembled a team of 18 transportation, logistics and IT companies with extensive expertise to bid on the Defense Transportation Coordination Initiative (DTCI), a major program by the Department of Defense (DoD) to improve visibility, predictability, reliability and efficiency by streamlining the movement of materiel within the United States.
Team UPS was created to ensure that the DoD and U.S.Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM) obtain not only superior technology and extensive DoD experience, but also global expertise in transportation, logistics and supply chain management.
The team is led by UPS Supply Chain Solutions, a global third-party logistics provider with solid transportation network management expertise. Team UPS currently provides a significant amount of transportation services for the DoD. UPS chose Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), known for its defense logistics, security and technology integration systems, as the primary subcontractor.
“Each of the companies selected for this collaboration was recruited for its ability to deliver commercial best practices in transportation, logistics, in-transit visibility, technology or supply chain management,” said Bob Stoffel, UPS senior vice president, Supply Chain Group. “With the proven strengths of this team, we can provide a smooth transition with minimum disruption, which will be key to meeting the comprehensive goals of DTCI.”
In addition to UPS Supply Chain Solutions, other Team UPS companies include:
* American Road Lines Inc., a nationwide agent network trucking firm providing DoD transportation of general commodities, as well as specialized loads.
* Amyx, Inc., an established woman-owned, 8(a) certified business that provides program integration, project management, supply chain management and information technology solutions.
* Boyle Transportation, which specializes in transportation protective services to the defense industry, requiring exceptional security and utmost care.
* CorTrans Logistics, LLC, a leading minority owned small business provider of reliable, efficient, safe and secure transportation and logistics services utilizing multi-modal independent agents and carriers.
* Crowley Maritime Corporation, a diverse worldwide marine transportation and international logistics services company.
* CRST International, one of the nation’s largest privately-held transportation companies, providing services through CRST Logistics, CRST Malone, CRST Premier Transport and CRST Van Expedited.
* Green Valley Transportation, general commodities, asset-based, specialty and HAZMAT carrier with 35 years of broad based experience and equipment. It is a DoD-qualified munitions carrier and holds a National Hazardous Material Certification.
* IntelliTrans, a provider of consulting services, software products, integration services and inventory tracking for the entire rail industry.
* Landstar System, Inc., provider of specialized transportation services to a broad range of customers worldwide through independent agents and third-party transportation capacity providers. Landstar has a long history of transport services to DoD including AA&E, over-dimension and FAK.
* Mercer Transportation Company, a truckload carrier of general commodities operating flatbed, dry van, drop deck and specialized equipment throughout North America.
* Norfolk Southern Railway, a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern Corporation, serving every major container port in the eastern United States and providing connections to western rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is North America’s largest rail carrier of automotive parts and finished vehicles.
* Red Arrow, a woman-owned, non-asset based carrier that provides flatbed, step deck, RGN and van shipments, both truckload and less than truckload.
* SAIC, highly experienced in government systems integration and solving complex technical problems in logistics, national security, homeland security, energy, the environment, space and telecommunications.
* UPS Freight, a division of UPS, provides LTL, TL and dedicated transportation services in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Guam. UPS acquired Overnite Corporation in August 2005 and subsequently it was rebranded as UPS Freight.
* US Bank PowerTrack, a unit of U.S. Bancorp, is a patented, on-demand electronic business-to-business payment network currently used by DoD services and agencies, and commercial shippers to streamline processes for receiving, auditing, collaboratively resolving billing exceptions and paying freight bills from more than 5,000 carriers.
* UTXL, Inc., provides expedited door to door, LTL, TL services and coverage for seasonal or unexpected surge for commercial and military customers utilizing a large portfolio of small business certified carriers.
* YRC Worldwide Inc., a Fortune 500 company and one of the world’s largest transportation service providers, is the holding company for Yellow Transportation, Roadway Express, YRC Regional, among others.
UPS is the world’s largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services, offering an extensive range of options for synchronizing the movement of goods, information and funds. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS serves more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. UPS’s stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (UPS), and the company can be found on the Web at UPS.com.
- Contact Information
- Orzy Theus
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.