MapQuest Navigator’s Audible Turn By Turn Navigation Now Available for Mobile Phones
MapQuest Navigator Offers Moving Map Display and Directions on Select Sprint and Nextel Phones
September 12, 2006 - MapQuest today announced the availability of MapQuest® Navigator, a Global Positioning System (GPS) enabled application that provides turn-by-turn, voice-guided directions for wireless subscribers using a variety of Sprint (NYSE:S) and Nextel phones. The new service and downloadable application features an in-car navigation-like system with an exclusive moving map display and provides a seamless navigational experience while allowing users to receive phone calls.
“Based on consumer feedback(1), there is strong interest in reasonably priced GPS navigation systems on mobile devices,” said Jim Greiner, VP and GM of MapQuest. “Users have come to know and trust the MapQuest brand and partnering with Sprint for the Navigator launch means millions of Sprint subscribers will have access to MapQuest’s unparalleled mapping technology and expertise in a rich mobile navigation environment.”
MapQuest Navigator leverages Sprint’s leading edge location-based services platforms and GPS-enabled phones to acquire wireless device location information, letting subscribers take their navigation system with them at all times and get directions whether in a car, walking or cycling, or for other day-to-day needs. And since map directions are downloaded at the beginning of the route, Sprint customers can use the MapQuest Navigator service even if their journey takes them beyond network coverage, providing a continuous navigation experience. MapQuest Navigator helps people find places, view maps and provides directions while offering a whole new level of convenience when they need it most - on the go.
Subscribers also have access to the extensive database available on MapQuest.com and can quickly navigate to more than 15 million restaurants, hotels, theaters and other points of interest. MapQuest Navigator also lets subscribers save frequently visited destinations in a “My Places” menu, enabling even faster and convenient navigation to their homes, points of interest or business locations. The service is available for a $9.99 monthly fee (additional carrier data access fees apply).
MapQuest is based on the next generation technology Mobile Optimized Navigation Data, (“MOND”) from Telmap, a world-leading provider of mobile mapping and navigation solutions.
MapQuest Navigator is one of the latest MapQuest Wireless offerings by the leading mapping destination on the Web. MapQuest.com, which serves upwards of 53 million(2) consumers every month, is making it easier for subscribers to find their location anytime, anywhere. A recent Telephia survey found that the company’s MapQuest Mobile service, a MapQuest Wireless offering, is the top revenue-generating downloadable application.(3)
Additional MapQuest Navigator features include:
* -- Audible turn-by-turn voice and visual directions, using GPS, straight from the phone handset;
* -- Users can enjoy a seamless navigation experience while receiving phone calls;
* -- Full pedestrian navigation mode that ignores vehicle turning and one-way driving restrictions;
* -- Optimized routing calculation to find the fastest or shortest route, avoiding toll roads, highways or other specific elements;
* -- High-quality dynamic color maps with zoom-in/out, pan and point on map functionality;
* -- Easy address input for mobile phones;
* -- Intuitive location search for address, intersection or zip code, including unique “points of interest” category search capabilities;
* -- Automatic re-routing without the need to contact the mapping server; and
* -- Front-loaded data retrieval within the cell coverage area allows for a seamless navigation experience within and outside of cell coverage areas
Sprint customers will be able to take advantage of MapQuest Navigator’s clear, easy-to-follow directions either from a selected starting point or from the consumer’s current location, using location based services technology on a variety of phone models. MapQuest Navigator is a part of the offerings provided and marketed through MapQuest Wireless (for more information, go to http://www.mapquest.com/mobile).
(1) MapQuest internal data, January, 2005
(2) comScore, Media Metrix, July, 2006
(3) Telephia Mobile Applications Report, Q1 2006. Data does not include revenue for mobile TV and mobile game applications.
- Contact Information
- Dori Salcido
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.