How Wind Damage to a Building Can Result in Moisture and Mold Issues
EMSL Analytical provides mold testing services and consumer-friendly sampling kits along with moisture meters to identify water damage.
While virtually everyone associates floods with water damage and mold growth in residential and commercial properties, these same conditions can also frequently be caused by wind damage. Thunderstorms, microbursts, tornadoes and hurricanes are all associated with high velocity winds that cause billions of dollars in property damage each year.
Strong winds can cause everything from cosmetic or structural damage to a property’s complete destruction. Even seemingly minor wind damage may result in water being able to infiltrate a property where it can cause damage to building materials and belongings. This moisture can also result in the growth of mold in less than 48 hours in many circumstances if the materials are allowed to remain wet or moist.
There are steps that property managers and owners can take to help prevent or minimize damage due to strong winds. They include the following:
- The building’s exterior, siding and windows should be sealed and properly secured to prevent damage and wind-driven rain from reaching the interior.
- Trim back trees to prevent damage from broken limbs or uprooted trees.
- Be sure anything stored outdoors and any outbuildings are properly secured and that fencing is well braced.
- For commercial properties, check to make sure signage is properly designed, anchored and secured.
- Ensure any rooftop HVAC units are properly secured.
- Check shingles or roof tiles to make sure they are properly fastened and meet or exceed local building codes.
- Be sure roof sheathing is properly nailed down and that the connections between the roof and walls will not allow updrafts to damage the roof.
- Check chimneys, sky lights and roof exhaust vents to ensure they are sealed and properly secured.
- Be sure exterior doors are hinged or braced properly and can withstand strong winds.
“In addition to mold and moisture issues, wind damage in older properties could also result in indoor environmental concerns due to the possible presence of lead-based paints and asbestos-containing materials,” said Joe Frasca, Senior Vice President of Marketing at EMSL Analytical, Inc. “If these materials are disturbed by the actual damage or during cleanup, demolition and rebuilding activities, there can be exposure risks. At EMSL, we offer testing services and consumer-friendly test kits for mold, lead, asbestos and other indoor environmental contaminants. Our products division also provides a comprehensive range of moisture meters to inspect for wet building materials.”
To view EMSL’s complete range of test kits, please visit www.EMSLTestKits.com. EMSL has also sponsored an educational video about wind damage, moisture and mold that can be seen at: https://youtu.be/jMs2IsyLE9k.
To learn more about mold, indoor air quality or other occupational, environmental, health and safety testing services, please visit www.EMSL.com, call (800)220-3675 or email info@EMSL.com .
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental, indoor air quality, consumer product and materials testing services and products for professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/9645/201050/201050-1.png )
- Contact Information
- Joseph Frasca
- Senior Vice President of Marketing
- EMSL Analytical, Inc.
- (1) 8563032503
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.