Wind Damage, Moisture and Mold in Commercial & Residential Buildings throughout Puerto Rico
Zimmetry Environmental provides tips to prevent property damage due to strong winds and testing services to identify associated indoor environmental issues.
People in Puerto Rico and across the Caribbean that suspect there may be unsafe conditions in their property due to wind damage can depend on the building science professionals at Zimmetry Environmental.
Powerful winds from tropical storms, hurricanes and thunderstorms are a common occurrence in Puerto Rico. High velocity winds from these storms result in millions of dollars of property damage each year across the islands.
Wind damage can cause everything from cosmetic or structural damage to a property’s complete destruction. Even seemingly minor wind damage can result in water being able to enter a property where it can cause damage to building materials and belongings. This moisture can also result in the growth of mold in less than 48 hours in many circumstances if the materials are allowed to remain wet or moist.
In addition to issues associated with moisture and mold, wind damage in older properties could also result in indoor environmental concerns due to the possible presence of lead-based paints and asbestos-containing materials. If these materials are disturbed by the actual damage or during cleanup, demolition and rebuilding activities, there can be exposure risks.
Fortunately, there are steps that property owners and managers can take to help prevent damage due to strong winds. The experts at Zimmetry Environmental recommend the following:
- Ensure any rooftop HVAC units are properly secured.
- Check shingles or roof tiles to make sure they are properly fastened and meet or exceed local building codes.
- Be sure roof sheathing is properly nailed down and that the connections between the roof and walls will not allow updrafts to damage the roof.
- Check chimneys, sky lights and roof exhaust pipes to ensure they are sealed and properly secured.
- Be sure exterior doors are hinged and braced properly to withstand strong winds.
- The building’s exterior, siding and windows should be sealed and properly secured to prevent wind damage and wind-driven rain from reaching the interior.
- Trim back trees to prevent damage from broken limbs or uprooted trees.
- Be sure anything stored outdoors and any outbuildings are properly secured and that fencing is well braced.
- For commercial properties, check to make sure signage is properly designed, anchored and secured.
Fortunately, wind damage is covered under most standard insurance policies, but there can be exceptions. “Property managers, owners and tenants that do experience wind damage should also be on the lookout for hidden damages that might otherwise go unnoticed,” said Harry Pena, President of Zimmetry Environmental. “People in Puerto Rico and across the Caribbean that suspect there may be unsafe conditions in their property due to wind damage can depend on the building science professionals at Zimmetry Environmental. Our experts offer comprehensive testing and inspection services to identify the presence of mold, lead, asbestos and other indoor environmental health and safety issues often associated with wind damaged properties.”
Zimmetry has also recently sponsored a video about wind damage, moisture and mold that can be seen at: https://youtu.be/jMs2IsyLE9k
To learn more about Zimmetry Environmental and their building science, indoor environmental quality, compliance and consulting services, please visit www.zimmetry.com, call (787) 995.0005 or email email@example.com .
About Zimmetry Environmental
Since 2002, Zimmetry Environmental has been providing environmental consulting services to building owners and managers, architects, engineers, EHS professionals and Fortune 500 companies. The company is based in Puerto Rico and provides services across the Caribbean and Central America. The professionals at Zimmetry offer environmental compliance, indoor air quality, asbestos, lead-based paint, Phase I ESAs and general environmental consulting services.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/12710/200740/200740-1.jpg )
- Contact Information
- Paul Cochrane
- Cochrane & Associates, LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.