Tips to Prevent Wind Damage to Your Home or Business
The insurance claims and building science professionals at Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters offer advice to prevent property damage due to strong winds.
Wind damage can result in everything from cosmetic and structural damage to a property’s complete destruction.
Thunderstorms are often associated with high velocity winds and microbursts that can result in extensive damage to a home or business. Wind from tornadoes and hurricanes also cause billions of dollars in property damage each year and can leave an enormous path of destruction in their wake.
While certain parts of the country may experience strong winds more frequently than others, they can and do occur virtually everywhere. Wind damage can result in everything from cosmetic and structural damage to a property’s complete destruction. Even seemingly minor damage can result in water being able to enter a property and causing interior damage to building material and belongings. This moisture can also result in the growth of mold in less than 48 hours in many circumstances if the materials are allowed to remain wet or moist.
Fortunately, there are steps that property owners can take to help prevent damage due to strong winds. They include the following:
- Ensure any rooftop HVAC units are properly secured.
- Check shingles or roof tiles to make sure they are properly fastened and meet or exceed local building codes.
- Be sure roof sheathing is properly nailed down and that the connections between the roof and walls will not allow updrafts to damage the roof.
- Check chimneys, sky lights and roof exhaust pipes to ensure they are sealed and properly secured.
- Be sure exterior doors are hinged or braced properly and can withstand strong winds.
- The building’s exterior, siding and windows should be sealed and properly secured to prevent wind damage and wind-driven rain from harming the interior.
- Trim back trees to prevent damage from broken limbs or uprooted trees.
- Be sure anything stored outdoors and any outbuildings are properly secured and that fencing is braced well enough to survive strong winds.
- For commercial properties, check to make sure any signage is properly designed, anchored and secured.
“Wind damage is covered under most standard insurance policies, but there can be exceptions,” said Tom Allen from Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters, LLC. “With so many wind damage claims cases under our belts, we have found that insurance companies will often not investigate beyond the obvious visible signs of damage. This is a significant issue because we have frequently discovered substantial hidden damages that would otherwise not have been repaired if our public adjusters weren’t involved in the claim. As an insurance policyholder, it’s important for anyone facing this type of claim to completely understand how badly their home or business is damaged before settling an insurance claim.”
Property owners that do experience wind damage or other forms of property damage can turn to the professionals at Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters for help. Their experts look for more than just superficial damages and work diligently to resolve insurance claims comprehensively to obtain the most accurate insurance settlement possible.
To learn more about how the licensed public adjusters at Hudson Douglas can settle insured property claims quickly and for the fair maximum value, please visit www.HudsonDouglasPublicAdjusters.com, email claims@HudsonDouglas.com or call (800) 898-4290.
About Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters, LLC
With more than 50 years of experience in the construction and disaster restoration industries, the founders of Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters provide policy holders with professional representation to efficiently manage and settle insured claims. Hudson Douglas’ public adjusters are licensed to offer these services to residential and commercial customers in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/12710/200324/200324-1.png )
- Contact Information
- Paul Cochrane
- Cochrane & Associates, LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.