Tips for Preventing Interior Sources of Water Damage & Mold in Properties across Puerto Rico
Zimmetry Environmental offers indoor environmental quality services to identify, resolve and prevent water damage and mold growth.
Water will damage or destroy building materials, furnishing and belongings, and in some cases, will even lead to structural damage.
Late last month, Tropical Storm Erika brought much needed rain to drought stricken Puerto Rico. The moisture provided welcome relief to the region and only minor property damage due to the rain.
Even though much of Puerto Rico has been under severe or extreme drought conditions, properties across the islands are still susceptible to water damage and mold growth from interior sources of moisture. Fortunately, there are steps that can be taken to prevent this type of property damage. The building science professionals at Zimmetry Environmental recommend the following:
- Regularly inspect washing machine hoses and be sure to replace them if there are any signs of cracking or bulging.
- Inspect ice maker connections for signs of damage and replace when necessary.
- Water heaters should be regularly checked for signs of leaks and corrosion. Drip pans installed below the water heater that drain to the outside can prevent costly damage.
- If the property has air conditioning, be sure the drain lines are not clogged.
- Check under sinks, garbage disposals and around tubs and showers for any signs of leaks.
- Inspect around drinking fountains and toilets and check the toilet’s internal components for any signs of leaks, wear or damage.
- Check basements and crawl spaces for signs of leaks, moisture and elevated humidity levels.
- Inspect any exposed plumbing for signs of condensation, corrosion and leaks.
- Consider having the property’s sewer line inspected for any signs of failure and existing blockages to prevent a sewer backup.
“Water damage from interior sources in commercial and residential properties are a very common cause of property damage and insurance claims,” said Harry Pena, President of Zimmetry Environmental. “Water will damage or destroy building materials, furnishing and belongings, and in some cases, will even lead to structural damage. Depending on the source of water, it may already contain bacteria, mold, viruses and chemical contaminants. Even if the water damage is due to clean water, most materials that remain wet will begin to see mold growth in under 48 hours. This often leads to costly repairs, lower property values and health concerns for anyone in the building.”
For people living in Puerto Rico and across the Caribbean, Zimmetry Environmental offers comprehensive testing and inspection services to help identify, resolve and prevent water damage and mold growth in all types of properties. They also recently sponsored a video about common interior sources of water damage and mold growth that can be seen at: http://youtu.be/amCCFegjIcs
To learn more about Zimmetry Environmental and their water damage, mold and indoor environmental quality testing and consulting services, please visit www.zimmetry.com, call (787) 995.0005 or email email@example.com .
About Zimmetry Environmental
Since 2002, Zimmetry Environmental has been providing environmental consulting services to building owners and managers, architects, engineers, EHS professionals and Fortune 500 companies. The company is based in Puerto Rico and provides services across the Caribbean and Central America. The professionals at Zimmetry offer environmental compliance, indoor air quality, asbestos, lead-based paint, Phase I ESAs and general environmental consulting services.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/12710/199949/199949-1.jpg )
- Contact Information
- Paul Cochrane
- Cochrane & Associates, LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.